Anti slip strips on stairs

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

MrDo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 10 18:17

Anti slip strips on stairs

Hi all,

I've been asked to come up with options for the anti slip strips on a flight of stairs in a high traffic area of the school. The existing strips are made of rubber/plastic material and some are missing, as you can see in the top part of the attached photo. Is it possible to get hold of replacement strips, like the one on the bottom step in the photo?

I've also seen alternative products online with a surface that looks like sandpaper made from GRP and also stick on strips that come in the form of a roll of tape. Does anyone have any experience of this? I have a feeling that the adhesive rolls will come off easily.

Thanks for your advice!

Anti_slip_stair.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2024 10 23:21

Re: Anti slip strips on stairs

Have you checked the school's asbestos register?

Some older stair nosings were made with asbestos. Looking at your photo, it does look like the type that had an asbestos strip. If you are not sure, you may need to have it tested. Although, the fact that it is on a wooden staircase it would defeat the object of needing to be fire resistant.

Untitled.jpg
Asbestos Containing Vinyl Stair Nosings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 11 11:07

Have the existing ones tested for the A word first.
Then check out these for a style you need.
https://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/stair-nosings/
Good luck bro. [Like.png]
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 11 11:26

We had the aluminium with grip insert stair nosing’s, very similar to those in your picture. The grip was starting to wear in places, so I looked at getting replacements. We recently had a H&S audit, and it was recommended we replaced the nosing’s with a high visibility type. Had to get a builder in to install them as the original was part of the step structure, also went with new nonslip floor covering on the whole staircase. It turned into an expensive exercise but was redeemed later that year as we gained a partially sighted pupil.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 12 07:23

If they are aluminium and recessed, then they do do a coloured insert, it's like a long strip of vinyl/plastic. I went for yellow as we have some carpeted green.
Dalscone89
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 12 08:56

We had a similar problem here, used anti-slip tape from screwfix with yellow and black stripes. staff have since complained that its to grippy [zip.png]
MrDo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 12 20:21

Thanks for all the replies, some very useful information.

I hadn't thought of the potential of asbestos being present. Fortunately the school does have a file which shows that the stair nosings were replaced around 5 years ago and so should be safe to remove.

I had a look at replacing the missing vinyl strips and also at new nosings on Screwfix, as well as anti slip tape, but in the end the school have gone for something on nationalstairnosings.co.uk (There're a lot more nosings to choose compared to Screwfix).