Are you claiming anything

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 28 11:07

Re: Are you claiming anything

Currently, Free prescriptions kick in when you reach 60, though there is talk of that being moved to the actual Retirement Age, which is getting to be a moving target currently!
Bus Pass is free once you hit Retirement Age but times of use are 9.30 am onwards most days (I think).
If you get less than £201 per week and have less than £10,000 in savings you can apply for Pension Credit as far as I understand.

If you qualify for Pension Credit, you can get various other benefits.
NHS Dentistry? If you can find one you're lucky, all dentists around me are private only so that's nearly £100 per visit for a checkup, and that's twice a year.

Glasses, you get a free eye test once you hit 60 (as I recall) at places like Specsavers and so on.

For hearing aids, if you have access to a local test centre, you can apply via your Doctor, again, locally there are none around here if you don't have transport so expect to pay £4,000 privately.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 28 21:39

One thing to be aware of, if you plan on drawing on a work pension until you reach state pension age, it all adds to taxable income amount. If the pension doesn't reach the threshold for tax yet, doing a few days of work might tip it over the threshold and nothing worse than finding you are now paying tax again. Only you can know if you think the few hours of work is still worth it.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 08:05

We are both only planing working a couple of days a week more to keep going and get out the house so should be ok for earnings ,googling things Your annual allowance (in the tax year 2023/24) is £12,570,
The amount we will get monthly from school pension taking it early is a pittance but with a good lump sum that will tide us over if need be till we find work or volunteer. it's really only because myself and the mrs will both be cashing in that we can do it .If It was just me then I would be here to the bitter end [Thumb_up.png]