First Wage

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 29 10:54

Re: First Wage

trout39843 wrote: ↑29th Feb 2024 at 8:52am Back in those days;
A gallon of gas (petrol) was around $0.50
You could get a Big Mac large fries and coke for about $2.00
Movie tickets were $1.50
That was all before inflation bro.
Not as bad as i thought then đź‘Ť
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 29 11:15

I don't remember my first wage but my first job was on a Saturday morning and I think I was about 15 at the time. It was at a local butchers round the corner from my parents house. I used to do all the cleaning of the equipment etc and the freezers, I had to clean out all the saw dust on the floor, all the meat was hung up and cut open so all the blood etc was on the floor. Once the shop was closed every thing got cleaned down again with bleach. The two owners were brothers so I used to have to make them tea constantly but I used to get lunch included which was normally a sandwich.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 11:21

I didn't include my stint helping out on a market stall as a saturday job when i was 11, it was a carpet/ rug stall and i used to help people carry the stuff back to their cars with a trolley. 7am until 4pm for 50p a day. This was 1970 and i still felt cheated then so only did it for a couple of months
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 11:47

PalaceEagles wrote: ↑29th Feb 2024 at 11:15am I used to get lunch included which was normally a sandwich.
Would that be a ham sandwich [Like.png]

I worked on a market stall after school and on Saturdays for pocket money, I was friendly with the butcher boy in the butcher’s shop near the market stall. Occasionally the butcher boy would bring me slices of ham to taste, the butchers had their own oven and curing room where they cured meat. It was the best ham I ever tasted, and the café a few shops down obtained their meat from the butchers. I used to love the ham sandwiches the café made, real thick cut bread and generous chunks of ham.
[Happy.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.