Boiler room flooding

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 10:33

Boiler room flooding

Our basement boiler room is constantly flooding. I can't see any leaks in pipework yet every day I run the sump pump to get the water out and it appears again. Could it be the ground water table rising through the floor? I have worked here many years and never seen this amount of water down there. I've had to rig up some extra hose to the end of the pipe to get the water away from the boiler room otherwise it just puddles outside and then makes it way back in through the old coal shute! Any help much appreciated!
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 10:54

Re: Boiler room flooding

Just checking - are you only seeing the pipework when hot?

I've had it a numbr of times where a rubber flange leaks when the system is cold but when it's hot and running, there's anough expansion of parts to seal it up.
Red
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 11:03

It happens in ours. Everybody we ask seems to think its because its below the water table. we were advised to waterproof the area with this stuff...

https://www.spcsupplies.com/products/si ... of-mortar/

Ours as always happened. If yours has just started then must it be a separate issue.
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 11:05

Nail wrote: 4th Mar 2024 at 10:54am Just checking - are you only seeing the pipework when hot?

I've had it a numbr of times where a rubber flange leaks when the system is cold but when it's hot and running, there's anough expansion of parts to seal it up.
Yes I am. I'll try shutting the heating down when I'm able to and let it cool down then check. Thanks
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 11:28

Nail wrote: 4th Mar 2024 at 10:54am Just checking - are you only seeing the pipework when hot?

Yes we`ve had that when the system is off over the weekend and Monday morning a puddle, then OK the rest of week
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 14:46

Could be a pressure relief valve leaking when cold.
Check your pressurisation system and pressure vessel.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 18:49

Vera wrote: 4th Mar 2024 at 2:46pm Could be a pressure relief valve leaking when cold.
Check your pressurisation system and pressure vessel.
I get that sometimes if an expansion vessel needs re-pressurising, it is when no one is running the hot taps the pressure builds up and the valve opens.