Manual or automatic transmission, your preference?

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Manual or automatic transmission, your preference?

Poll ended at 7th Mar 2024 at 12:35pm

A Automatic transmission
53%
B Manual transmission
47%

Total votes: 38

grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 12:15

Re: Manual or automatic transmission, your preference?

I used to drive manual cars until about 7 years ago. My main reason to swap was I live in a very urban area of outer london so our roads don't move quick. Sat in traffic constantly using the clutch made me change, well that and old creaky knees. I would never go back now. Autos used to be far worse on fuel but the modern ones now are the same if not better. Manual boxes will be a thing of the past soon as hybrid/alternative fuels take over.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 01 12:34

Keyolder wrote: 1st Mar 2024 at 11:00am Neck and neck currently, that surprises me I thought auto would be in front.
I spoke too soon [Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 12:45

I was asked by our minibus lease company a few years back to demonstrate our minibus to a local school, who were debating on whether to get one or not.
I took them for a short drive, they were impressed with the minibus, but the three young future drivers onboard admitted they could only drive automatics, so the minibus was not suitable. They were also shocked by how big it was (17-seater), they never got one in the end.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 04 16:03

I have 2 of each, my daily is XC90 which is auto and is an absolute beast when it needs to be but also super comfy easy to drive, BMW 330 and a Porsche Boxster there both manual and both a lot of fun to drive...but I am lazy and prefer auto only sense I see in having an manual is if it's some fast and exciting to drive.
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 07:17

For fun it always has to be a manual, but with the mileage I do with frequent traffic the auto is kinder to my knee not needing to clutch pump in tailbacks,

Last 2 cars have been powerful auto’s and now and even more torquey EV so another auto realistically.Do I miss manual, yes. Would I go back, no.

All 3 had a snow or ice mode but never needed it.
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
Obelix27
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 11:44

After driving for 42 years using only a manual gearbox, I changed my car for a hybrid two years ago, so it has an automatic transmission. Wow, I loved it from the word go. I had always heard people who drive an automatic say that they would never go back to a manual gearbox. I totally understand that now as no way I would go back to a manual either.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 14:28

Voted automatic as that was easier when driving within the London area, now a country resident manual suits me. [Thumb_up.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 17:24

Currently drive a manual so voted manual for that reason.

Did have a automatic Rover 45 on a 51 plate about 10 years ago I think, and it was lovely to drive and had a real kick to it. When I changed cars I went back to manual, and the few I've had since have all been manual as well. I have no preference, although did start getting bored driving around town...

Parents car is an auto, and whenever I'm down visiting them, I usually end up driving that at some point, especially if I end up dropping them to appointments etc as it's easier for them to get in and out of.

I probably would have another auto tomorrow tbf.