Emergency light testing

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Fw18
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 21:57

Emergency light testing

Hi,
We have our emergency lighting tested every 6 months, including a short duration test and then later in the year the full long duration test, both by an external electrical company. I have been told on a recent course that all emergency lighting should be tested every month. Just a quick on/off test with a test key. We have 300+ emergency lights most on separate switches.

Is the every month test correct, if so I will get a sleeping bag and move into work.

Cheers.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 22:28

Re: Emergency light testing

Simple answer is yes that’s correct. It’s a functional test to check they work under power failure.
You don’t need to keep them off for drain down, just flick the key switch to check they come on. Perhaps if you have so many you could break then down into set areas and test a certain amount every week so you don’t have a huge amount every month.
We a
So have a weekly check of charging LED’s are on and visible.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 07:33

Yes a flick test definitely needed once a month. It's not as bad as it sounds - as suggested above break it down into smaller areas to do once a week. Or do as I do - flick all the lights off at the main breakers then walk around checking. It's much quicker that way. I start at 6am and do this first thing before anyone is on site.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 07:43

In a nutshell yes.
I split the site into 3 and do one section per week.
It brings down the size of the task to a manageable level.
I always test mine for 15 minutes off as I have found there are less failures on the longer tests as the batteries are being exercised each time.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 08:02

ElGuapo wrote: 6th Mar 2024 at 7:33am Yes a flick test definitely needed once a month. It's not as bad as it sounds - as suggested above break it down into smaller areas to do once a week. Or do as I do - flick all the lights off at the main breakers then walk around checking. It's much quicker that way. I start at 6am and do this first thing before anyone is on site.
That is a good shout with having so many emergency lights. Simply knock the lighting circuit off and do a walk round. Only problem would be when the days are drawing in and it is still dark in the morning. Guess I am lucky as most of out site runs a Thorlux system which self tests and I just download the report.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 09:32

300 wow!! that's a lot of emergency lights... [Shock.png]

We have 21 emergency light test switches all numbered, I test at least 2 per week sometimes more, normally the same time I test the fire alarm call points as they are in the same locations. At least once per term normally during a school holiday or inset I do a longer 2 or 3 hours drain down test of all the emergency lights, as mentioned above it exercises the batteries. Our fire alarm service company carry out a regular 6 month and annual service on both the fire alarm system and emergency lights.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 09:51

I have over 300 too. Takes a little bit longer than a normal walk around to be honest. So long as you have them accurately mapped its a doddle.
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 12:08

We have a sparky who tests all our lights and does draindown etc. Might be worth looking at how much that would cost you.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 13:38

Vera wrote: 6th Mar 2024 at 7:43am In a nutshell yes.
I split the site into 3 and do one section per week.
It brings down the size of the task to a manageable level.
I always test mine for 15 minutes off as I have found there are less failures on the longer tests as the batteries are being exercised each time.
This is exactly what i used to do Vera with splitting the site but i only used to flick on and off not for 15 mins but it created that manageable system
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 14:50

magpie wrote: 6th Mar 2024 at 1:38pm This is exactly what i used to do Vera with splitting the site but i only used to flick on and off not for 15 mins but it created that manageable system
It works well and because it becomes a weekly scheduled item on the check sheet, it becomes second nature and you no longer have to remember to do it once a month for me it is every Thursday morning done whilst unlocking the school.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]