Pest control companies

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 08:47

Pest control companies

With starting a new job, taking over from a caretaker that passed away suddenly so no hand over and then RAAC, now that it has started to calm down again here, I'm trying to sort out contracts etc that we don't have or better ones than current one's.

The school have never seemed to have a pest control company that come in regular. Can anybody recommend a contractor for a school in Essex. Also what would you advise that I have included in my contract? We are due a visit from the councils food and hygiene inspector soon so I want to get it sorted. We don't cook onsite and the meals are brought in but I would like to cover all basis.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 08:57

Re: Pest control companies

PalaceEagles wrote: 7th Mar 2024 at 8:47am With starting a new job, taking over from a caretaker that passed away suddenly so no hand over and then RAAC, now that it has started to calm down again here, I'm trying to sort out contracts etc that we don't have or better ones than current one's.

The school have never seemed to have a pest control company that come in regular. Can anybody recommend a contractor for a school in Essex. Also what would you advise that I have included in my contract? We are due a visit from the councils food and hygiene inspector soon so I want to get it sorted. We don't cook onsite and the meals are brought in but I would like to cover all basis.
We use RoKill. I They are part of the Nurture group, so are national.

We have 8 visits /year.
Mainly for mice/Rat prevention (merely a belt and braces approach as we have a river and lots of woods in our grounds)
I also had 4 visits per year for ants and/or wasps included. Any more is chargeable.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 09:10

PestGo. Used them in my old school, then started in my new school in September and found we use them here as well.

Never had an issue with them, and whenever I've had to contact them for something they've usually come out within 24 hours.

Not 100% on where they're based, but both my current and old school are a good hour apart (Colchester and Harlow) so assume they cover a large part of Essex.
NEITTech
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 10:01

We, luckily, have a small collection of feral cats on our grounds.

Around 7 years ago a male arrived and they started reproducing (I adopted one), but our caretaker caught them and took them to the vets to get spayed (school paid).

Now we have free pest control. We've never seen a rat or mouse on the site.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 10:55

NEITTech wrote: 7th Mar 2024 at 10:01am We, luckily, have a small collection of feral cats on our grounds.

Around 7 years ago a male arrived and they started reproducing (I adopted one), but our caretaker caught them and took them to the vets to get spayed (school paid).

Now we have free pest control. We've never seen a rat or mouse on the site.
I love this as an option!!!

I do wonder how well the EHO would take it here though when they visit the kitchen. "Do you have your latest pest control visit sheet?" "No, but here's a cat...."
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 11:20

We have always had at least one feral cat on site for years, the latest one managed to get her head stuck in a crisp packet, saw her Saturday afternoon whilst I had a wander round grounds and removed it [Success.png]
Previous one had 5 kittens which the kids loved, a previous BM said we want it removed, it might scratch the kids, well don`t go near it then [Shock.png] You can`t just "remove" a feral cat! at one time a member of staff had a cage trap so maybe we could get her spayed, no luck, she was too clever to get caught [Big grin.png]
You remove one feral cat another takes it`s place.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
NEITTech
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 12:00

Nail wrote: 7th Mar 2024 at 10:55am I love this as an option!!!

I do wonder how well the EHO would take it here though when they visit the kitchen. "Do you have your latest pest control visit sheet?" "No, but here's a cat...."
I'd imagine we get regular visits from the food hygiene people, and as we don't have regular pest control visits and therefore can't show evidence of regular pest control visits they obviously don't think there's an issue.

It would obviously be different if there is a pest problem though!
Red
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 12:36

We use Paul and his company Scorpion Pest Control. https://scorpionpestandvermincontrol.co.uk/

Not sure how far into Essex he would travel.