Asbestos

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 10:23

Asbestos

So, I have done an Asbestos Awareness and Duty to Manage course but i'm still a little unclear on one thing.
We have had the asbestos management survey done but when I look at it I can't help notice that they don't sample wall plaster finishes. This begs the question that if I am drilling into walls then how do I know if I am releasing asbestos or not without an R&D survey?
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 10:56

Re: Asbestos

Not sure about walls, there used to be asbestos in the ceiling plaster (Artex I think?). If there was a need to check, they would have likely taken samples.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 13:05

If push comes to shove and you really need to drill into your suspect wall, wear a good quality face mask for your own safety. I would also keep the drill site damp or even wet to avoid airborne contamination.

You could also refuse to drill on the grounds of personal safety and the possibility of disturbing asbestos within the wall.
Maybe request a sample is taken from the suspect wall on a future asbestos survey [Neutral.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 13:44

The short answer is that you cannot be sure.

You could possible go back to your inspection company and ask this question. It may be as simple as they have visually inspected it and are confident there are no acms present. but in truth this question is bests answered by your inspection contractor
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 14:37

Our policy is if it's somewhere or something that's not listed in the AMP, then we will get material samples carried out before doing anything else.
adyjay
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 16:58

Your Asbestos register will tell you if there is any, if walls are not mentioned then don't drill it, as you don't know.

Ask them to clarify the situation, better safe then be sorry later.
I often wonder why its easier to complain than praise?
Understanding and co-operation is sadly lacking in schools towards support staff.
When we are wanted, they are all nice, when we ask for something they moan!
Men live their lives in quiet desperation when it comes to the opposite gender!
Don't trust anyone, they will only hurt you!
It's a sad situation really :(
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 17:12

Check your Asbestos report carefully they will often check and test 1 sample area then assume that all other areas are the same. ie all plaster is "Presumed ACM" or "Presumed to be not containing ACM's"
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 03 08:25

Asbestos does not always be shown on your Asbestos register and that is why your contractors read the Asbestos register to unders stand where it has been located and if they do come across any they are to stop work and report it, but you do not know if it is present in plaster so cation is required on your part and how you go about drilling walls, i know when they took down ceiling tiles nailed or screwed into timber joists they als had to suck out any asbestos left within the hole left when the screw/nail was removed.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Raggedy Man
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 19:35

As others have said unless you have samples done you can't be 100% sure which means if your not 100% sure don't drill.