Step Ladder Standards

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Raggedy Man
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 19:33

Step Ladder Standards

My cleaners have asked me to get a three step, step ladder for them to use occasionally.

Am I needing to get a step ladder to any standard for their occasional use. I know trade use EN131 standard. Is that required for this use in the workplace ?
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 20:14

Re: Step Ladder Standards

It will need to be a EN131 Professional standard, lots of guidance here https://ladderassociation.org.uk/standards/

Worth checking training requirements too, most schools require anyone who is going to use a ladder to be trained, with cleaners can it be avoided? Long reach dusters, extensions to vacuums etc.
Raggedy Man
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 20:55

Cheers for the reply. They are thankfully all trained which is the good thing. They are used for putting small amounts of washed items away in a laundry type room. A space that isn't huge but equally ergonomically challenged. A foot stool isn't quite tall enough for the job.

I thought they might have to be so thanks for confirming. Now looking at the diff in EN131 for trade and EN131 for the home. Why do they make it such a min field lol.
Raggedy Man
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 21:11

All clearer here for anyone else who is interested :-)

https://ladderassociation.org.uk/wp-con ... rsion2.pdf
TheTusk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 08:26

Will an upside down milk crate not do the trick? [Wink.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 08:59

TheTusk wrote: 8th Mar 2024 at 8:26am Will an upside down milk crate not do the trick? [Wink.png]
They stack really well to reach higher.. Ask a plasterer.

[Big grin.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 09:19

I have two step, step ladders. Each part of the building has one and they are on my ladder list- these are for general use by CO's/TA's etc. I have a 3 step, and that has to be requested to use (like for putting a display up whilst generally the two step is used). Cleaners should ideally not need a ladder, if they can't reach then consider extension poles etc. I personally chose to do the higher things if need be, in holidays and with the taller ladder as I am trained. This is my opinion and might not be agreeable to all.
I was told on training that 2 step for all is fine, even though it is officially working at height.
I also believe that a chair on a wonky table is reasonable to some CO's [Scared.png]