What does your day look like?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 07:50

Re: What does your day look like?

There isn't a normal day..

I structure around the checks and essential jobs and spread them over the week.
The rest is pretty much whatever comes at me.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 08:05

Mine has changed over the years
I started with two schools then they amalgamated so i look after one
Then we got a new head how turned into a super head and now part of 6 schools across Hampshire.
so now all the caretakers are expected to go to another school if needed.
Before i went part time i did

Open up 6.30 am
run water especially in the summer
check grounds and building
brew
then each day work my way through different checks e.g fire extinguishers,p.e visual,playground equipment visual,fire alarms test, disable loo panic pull, fire door checks,ordering cleaning stuff and D.I.Y stuff. meter readings ladder inspections,automatic door and gate checks,roller checks,bring free fruit in as left at main gate, put deliveries away.
lock all gates
emails
litter pick
bins
leaves etc
there more can't remember all
Home 10.30 ish
back 2.30
deal with floods/ sick etc
start 2 hours of cleaning as get interrupted
unlock gates
lock two gates to play ground for after school clubs
check cleaners
try and fill some soaps/ anti abac stations
summer water plants in pots
6.00 pm lock up if the teachers will leave

now i'm part time and do 2 hours in the morning and an hour in evening
so i open up do some checks and emptie bins litter pick then come back at 5 to lock up school no heavy lifting as damaged my phiraformis in my thigh and traped a nerve, doing some delivery's two year ago. not the best but at least i still have a job.

I hope you find what your looking for it all depends on the head and the management some you will get on with and others you won't.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 08:42

Basher wrote: 9th Mar 2024 at 2:09pm That was my thoughts.
I currently work at a private school, have the interview at a local authority primary school but just curious on what the normal day looks like as I have only been a caretaker for a couple of years and I do like my job but money just isn’t paying what I feel is my worth so looking at options. Not hiding anything, my bosses know I am not happy with the pay progression and I am actively looking and they fully understand why so no issues there.
This Facilities Manager is a posh way of saying caretaker but the money is enough to tempt me into changing.
I like to do my research and money isn’t everything I turned down more money to take the job I currently have.
I would be interested in seeing how others go about their normal day and any possible pitfalls into moving to a local authority school.
I was a a private school for 11 years and am now in my 3rd year of LA schooling and there are pros and cons to both.

From a personal POV you have more job securty in State and a clearly defined pay structure

However from a work POV there is next to no money in the system, and it seems that any money the school does have isnt put into the premises, so you are forever sticking plasters over things..... because of the image private school needs to portray, a ,lot more resrouces are dedicated to the building and your role.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 11 08:47

It doesn't change much to be honest but this is how my day pans out most days.

Arrive 6.45
Open main gates to driveway.
Open NHS building and then school.
Walk back up and open pedestrian gates.
Swimming pool checks early so any problems can be dealt with.
Turn computer on and check emails and have a quick brew and some breakfast whilst reading emails and check this brilliant Forum.
Walk round site checking fencing etc.
Around 9.15 shut minibus driveway gates.
I normally on a Monday have a good check of the boiler room to see if any problems have occurred over the weekend.
Monday its little and often water checks.
Paper work but I space this out throughout the week.
If minibuses are going out I bring them round to the front of the school and remove any seats that need to be removed.
Any small jobs get done, litter picking etc.
Have lunch about 12.15
Assistant site manager arrives at 1pm and we have a meeting and a brew and talk about any issues.
Bigger jobs are planned for the afternoon when both of us are onsite.
Top gates opened for minibuses to arrive PM
Check in with cleaners around 3.30
Leave just after 3.30

Then it gets even more busy either taking daughter dancing or son swimming or football training which I run.
Home
Dinner.
Mrs PlaceEagles arrives
Bags ready for the next day
And repeat
Basher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 13 21:02

Interesting comments.
I had an interview at a LA school today and I can see where you are coming from regarding money.
The school looked tidy, but I could see lots of small repairs needed and the ‘office’ was a table in the plant room with a few screws in a couple of pots. Could definitely see that the budget is being spent on more essential areas.
Private school I currently work at definitely keeps up with the maintenance of the property, it’s just a shame the pay progression is non existent for staff.
Overall the interview went well, find out in next day or two but I am concerned with the lack of compliance checks as a lot is contracted out to the Local authority. For me I would rather be busy doing meaningful work over cleaning floors etc.
Money is far better as a Facilities Manager but I am going to have to have a long hard think if it’s right for me.
Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 14 17:31

Monday starts with putting parking cones out, unlocking external inner gates.
Loo rolls etc, mandatory weekly checks done at same time. Ie fire extinguisher, access routes, glazing, electrical sockets etc, asbestos, fire doors.
Brew.
Remaining mandatory checks eg flushing, play equipment etc.
Open gates for pupils and parents, close gates (20 minutes total). Do half school litter picking on way round.
Emails and jobs logging.
Any urgent calls.
Break.
Pm. Job logging, any urgent calls.
Gates again. Litter picking completion on way round plus bins.
Do maintenence from 3.30-5.30. ( or monthly checks when due).
Lock up and secure.
Rest of week is the same, but without the weekly checks, just the daily checks, first thing.
Admin gets squeezed in on a couple of afternoons depending on workload.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Basher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 17:58

Basher wrote: 13th Mar 2024 at 9:02pm Interesting comments.
I had an interview at a LA school today and I can see where you are coming from regarding money.
The school looked tidy, but I could see lots of small repairs needed and the ‘office’ was a table in the plant room with a few screws in a couple of pots. Could definitely see that the budget is being spent on more essential areas.
Private school I currently work at definitely keeps up with the maintenance of the property, it’s just a shame the pay progression is non existent for staff.
Overall the interview went well, find out in next day or two but I am concerned with the lack of compliance checks as a lot is contracted out to the Local authority. For me I would rather be busy doing meaningful work over cleaning floors etc.
Money is far better as a Facilities Manager but I am going to have to have a long hard think if it’s right for me.
Update.
I didn’t get the job, another candidate had more cleaning experience and although my compliance knowledge was good their cleaning knowledge pipped it for the role so they more suited.
To be fair, I probably wasn’t going to take it but I feel a little insulted that I lost out to cleaning knowledge. Lol
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 15 09:30

Basher wrote: 14th Mar 2024 at 5:58pm Update.
I didn’t get the job, another candidate had more cleaning experience and although my compliance knowledge was good their cleaning knowledge pipped it for the role so they more suited.
To be fair, I probably wasn’t going to take it but I feel a little insulted that I lost out to cleaning knowledge. Lol
It's all experience.. [Thumb_up.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Basher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 15 21:21

Yes all experience.
To be fair it was quite eye opening.
Seeing how little focus the school had on compliance was quite a culture shock. Nearly everything I asked was met with the answer of ‘we just ring the council, they come out and do that’
Really got the impression, they wanted someone to open the building, manage the traffic, set the dining hall up, go home.
Come back, open the gates, traffic, put away dining tables, lock building.
Wash and repeat.

For me, it sounded mind numbing and if I was honest, I only wanted the job offer to ‘scare’ the school I am at to give some pay progression.
So I didn’t get the role, I am not too fussed but I have been told conversations have started regarding my pay progression so it seems to have done its intended purpose.