My Narrowboat build

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 26 10:57

Re: My Narrowboat build

Looks very good bro. so far.
Wish I done that.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 26 15:40

Nail wrote: 26th Mar 2024 at 9:56am Is it an EV? [Big grin.png]
You know Nail, initially we were looking at electric drive units in a serial Hybrid setup (There are very few places that you can plug in on the canals)
The problem is you still need a fairly beefy diesel generator as in the winter the solar power will be minimal and the battery bank, no matter how big, would need to be recharged. All this means that apart from the costs of the equipment itself you will still need to pay for diesel for the generator, the payback period is long because of this. The equipment is approximately double the price of a standard diesel propulsion unit and they are not cheap to start with (£10 - 12,000 plus installation).

The only way realistically to make electric drive units work is if you were to return to a marina every 24-48 hours to recharge over probably a 20 hour period (electrical hookup in marinas is generally low power 16A at best)

For this reason we are fitting a diesel propulsion unit but still with large solar array and large ish battery for leisure use. the battery is because we will not be using gas on our boat but electricity for cooking etc.

It's a complicated subject with no one "best" way to do things at the end of the day it is our choice and we will need to live with it.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 26 19:52

Vera wrote: 26th Mar 2024 at 3:40pm You know Nail, initially we were looking at electric drive units in a serial Hybrid setup (There are very few places that you can plug in on the canals)
The problem is you still need a fairly beefy diesel generator as in the winter the solar power will be minimal and the battery bank, no matter how big, would need to be recharged. All this means that apart from the costs of the equipment itself you will still need to pay for diesel for the generator, the payback period is long because of this. The equipment is approximately double the price of a standard diesel propulsion unit and they are not cheap to start with (£10 - 12,000 plus installation).

The only way realistically to make electric drive units work is if you were to return to a marina every 24-48 hours to recharge over probably a 20 hour period (electrical hookup in marinas is generally low power 16A at best)

For this reason we are fitting a diesel propulsion unit but still with large solar array and large ish battery for leisure use. the battery is because we will not be using gas on our boat but electricity for cooking etc.

It's a complicated subject with no one "best" way to do things at the end of the day it is our choice and we will need to live with it.
It was a bit tongue in cheek really but interesting that they’re exploring other tech - I thought it was purely diesel for chugging along.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 08:02

Nail wrote: 26th Mar 2024 at 7:52pm It was a bit tongue in cheek really but interesting that they’re exploring other tech - I thought it was purely diesel for chugging along.
There are currently 2 technologies employed besides pure diesel drive.
There is Serial hybrid where an electric motor only provides propulsion with a battery bank solar energy capture and a diesel generator.
There is Parallel hybrid where you have a smaller diesel propulsion engine with an electric motor available to assist the diesel when needed this electric motor also acts as a generator to recharge the batteries along with the solar generation, the electric motor is capable of moving the boat for a short period without the need to have the diesel engine running.

Both systems are readily available form the major manufacturers of diesel propulsion engines the only thing that holds them back is the costs involved.

It is also noteworthy that Lithium Ion batteries are very seldom used in boats as their chemistry is deemed to be too volatile, Lithium Iron Phosphate is used as this is more stable and far less prone to fire from misuse. Many insurance companies will not insure boats with Lithium Ion battery banks. The Fire service currently will not tackle boat fires with Lithium onboard they simply untie the boat and allow it to burn out in a safe position.

There are many chemistry's of battery available to boaters with each having their own strengths and weaknesses.
These are Flooded lead acid, AGM, Lead carbon and Lithium Iron Phosphate. The only people using Lithium Ion batteries tend to be home builders who build the batteries them selves (not something personally I would do).

Sorry for rambling..
DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 08:18

Vera wrote: 27th Mar 2024 at 8:02am
Sorry for rambling..
Rambling....I thought you'd be Navigating
PRINGLES - 'once you pop, you can't stop'

Why do them come with re-sealable lids?
mikefido
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 27 11:22

A nice slow, relaxing retirement is on the cards then!
If you're ever in Braunston, where the Oxford and Grand Union meet - that's where I live [Like.png]
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory!
narrowboat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 12:54

Sounds wonderful Vera. I have a few GRP boats in the past, looking into buying a narrowboat to cruise the river Wey and The Thames. Good luck with the project, Can't think of a better way to enjoy retirement.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 14:40

mikefido wrote: 27th Mar 2024 at 11:22am A nice slow, relaxing retirement is on the cards then!
If you're ever in Braunston, where the Oxford and Grand Union meet - that's where I live [Like.png]
Itll be on the cards at some point mikefido. can't be on the canals and not go to Braunston!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 14:43

narrowboat wrote: 27th Mar 2024 at 12:54pm Sounds wonderful Vera. I have a few GRP boats in the past, looking into buying a narrowboat to cruise the river Wey and The Thames. Good luck with the project, Can't think of a better way to enjoy retirement.
You are so right narrowboat. I've always had a connection to the canals since a Saturday job with a hire company, there's many tales to be had there...

Good luck with your search for a steelie. [Thumb_up.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 15:47

Hi All,

Just thought I would send an update on the progress of Tatton Tug.
The guys have worked their socks off and the end is very much in sight.
Here is a few photos

26-4 24 Tatton.jpg
26-4-24 Tatton1.jpg
26-4-24 Tatton2.jpg
26-4-24 Tatton3.jpg

Looking very pretty right now. I have no idea why the first photo is repeated 4 times.... [Scared.png]

EDIT BY: CT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.