The ZEV Mandate

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 28 15:14

The ZEV Mandate

The Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Mandate has become law (from January), which will eventually force all car and van makers to only sell emission-free vehicles by 2035. Any car makers that aren’t able to meet these quotas could face a fine of £15,000 per car sold that isn’t compliant. To meet these targets, it is expected to encourage manufacturers to make a lot more affordable zero emission cars so they can reach their target.

This year, 22% of car sales must be zero emission.

Annual ZEV Mandate targets to 2035

2024 - 22% must be emission-free
2025 - 28% must be emission-free
2026 - 33% must be emission-free
2027 - 38% must be emission-free
2028 - 52% must be emission-free
2029 - 66% must be emission-free
2030 - 80% must be emission-free
2031 - 84% must be emission-free
2032 - 88% must be emission-free
2033 - 92% must be emission-free
2034 - 96% must be emission-free

2035 - 100% must be emission-free

(Red = TBC)

If car manufacturers exceed the target number of emission-free sales, they get a credit. These can be saved for future years or sold to other car manufacturers who haven't reached their target. Firms like Tesla who only make electric vehicles are set to make a lot of money by selling to the highest bidder [Big grin.png]

Firms like Toyota who currently only sell 2 emission-free vehicles in thier entire range are likely to be hit the hardest.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 28 15:31

Re: The ZEV Mandate

Anyone else feel that instead of specifying EV they should just let market forces decide which technology should move forward away from fossil fuelled vehicles?

There are still huge issues with the EV market currently (see what i did there) Insurance, resale values, environmental qualifications and disposal particularly of damaged cars and battery packs. Add to that the barriers that are set in place to dissuade small businesses and individuals from converting classic cars in particular but others in general and the whole thing just smacks of short sighted, government led dead ends.

Anyone else remember when they were encouraging everyone to buy diesel cars? That worked out well didn't it.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 29 08:28

Why is our little country having to comply and put it into place when a bigger populated country like India does not do anything and that goes for a lot of other countries who have massive pollution problems. [Confused.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Mar 2024 29 10:23

We’ve just got an EV van at work.
Its range is only 120 miles. So if a trip to London is ever needed it’s gonna be a looooong trip.

Last winter the Gov were on about blackouts, so with all the EV’s getting plugged in etc.

Also regularly see cars stuck and snowed in massive traffic jams. Let’s see how the battery life copes in that.

I personally think it’s absolutely stupid, until the infrastructure is put in place.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 29 10:27

Vera wrote: 28th Mar 2024 at 3:31pm Anyone else remember when they were encouraging everyone to buy diesel cars? That worked out well didn't it.
In 2001 the then Chancellor Gordon Brown brought in a sliding scale for car tax or vehicle excise duty (VED), to make it cheaper for cars with lower emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), a greenhouse gas which contributes to global warming. This resulted in lower VED rates generally for diesel cars, which tend to be more fuel efficient. But it was later found that diesel engines emitted greater quantities of other pollutants harmful to health, nitrogen oxides and particulates. Vehicle manufacturers knew about this but tried to keep it quiet.

The vehicle emission cheat devices installed by manufacturers were then discovered, vehicle manufacturers were forced to clean up their act. With the result that petrol and diesel engine emissions have become much cleaner in recent years. It’s the older Euro 4 and below vehicles particularly the diesels still on the roads that are adding to the pollution problem.
EBJ wrote: 29th Mar 2024 at 8:28am Why is our little country having to comply and put it into place when a bigger populated country like India does not do anything and that goes for a lot of other countries who have massive pollution problems. [Confused.png]

I agree pollution is a world problem but if no one does anything about it, surely pollution will get worse and we will all suffer, plus it will then upset that young Swedish woman [Scared.png]

Climate change has been going on for millions of years and will no doubt continue no matter what humans do about it, but anything that we can do to prolong the existence of our “human race” must be a good thing in the long run for all future generations.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.