Electrics - How far do you go?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 05 08:56

Re: Electrics - How far do you go?

I only do plugs and fuses. Unless you are trained to current regs and have liability insurance don't go near it. Plumbing is the only thing I get more involved with.
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 05 10:39

Fuse and plugs only .
Believe it or not when under the council they did a one day " plugs" course...
Someone still failed it ..
Twodogs
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 05 11:01

Twodogs64 wrote: 5th Apr 2024 at 10:39am Believe it or not when under the council they did a one day " plugs" course...
Twodogs
I also attended the one-day electrical awareness course, plug tops and fuses was part of it but they also went in-depth into correct procedures in dealing with electrical problems.

I also attended the one-day PAT training course detailing visual checks and the different tests necessary on portable equipment and cables. It was stressed that just because we attended the course it does not mean we are now approved PAT testers.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Obelix27
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 05 16:42

My LEA does not even allow us to change a plug. All I am allowed to do is change light fittings and plug tops.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 05 18:37

It depends who's watching .... [Wink.png]

This week I disconnected a couple of 3 phase machines so we can get rid of them and I will also be replacing a socket faceplate with a faulty switch.

Last month I disconnected and removed some solar panels that a local company had quoted £500 to do. It took me 2 hours but I definitely didn't get paid £250/hr (not on a roof by the way).

Should I do these things? No. Would I do it if I wasn't 100% positive I could do it safely? No.
I wouldn't install any new circuit or touch any power distribution. I also generally get a contractor in to change light fittings as I don't like working on electrics from a ladder.

The rules are there to guard against incompetence, but I think there's also a great deal of scaremongering that goes on too.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 06 10:22

Plugs and fuses was all i was ever allowed to do
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 08 21:39

When I first started far more than I ever should. Being from that trade it was a no brainer for me and saving the school loads.
Fast forward many years not so much. Odd switch, socket front and a couple of light fittings along with the usual tubes and plug tops.
pnc9963
Apr 2024 09 10:50

We all really need the think long and hard about this one. Dont fall in to the trap of taking more DIY ie electrics as its been suggested that the schools budgets have been reduced. It would only take one mishap and the realization that bringing in a contractor would have been the best way of dealing with it. Before returning to caretaking i used to be the District Manager for Nottinghamshire County Council looking after all the schools in the north of the county whilst in that role i put a vast number of caretakers through the PAT testing course and we always stressed that they were competent and not approved. But like everything else the more you do it the more competent you become
ADMIN EDIT: User has not posted since this initial post on the 9th April. User has now been deleted
The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 09 13:37

I've realised my electric toaster isn't waterproof. I got a shock when I found out
Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 09 17:53

Low voltage items like door release equipment, telephone sockets and network points, and other similar items I will do as I was in an electronics servicing, repair and installation role previously. I also did assist with electrical installations and also like for like electrical repairs all following Niceic training, so I know I am capable of mains supply item maintenance.
However, like others that have commented, I leave the mains electrics repairs to a local spark due to the liability issues.
Not an ideal situation with the lack of budget.
I do tend to try to trace the exact fault and do any work that will make the job shorter such as disconnecting and isolating faulty items and wiring (if safe to do so without leaving any shock or fire hazards) so the final bill will be less.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.