Handing in your notice

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 19 15:49

Handing in your notice

Hi, I was just wondering is there a legal requirement to give a set amount of weeks for your notice, I know common practice is usually 4 weeks and I have gone from the idea of offering to work 5 weeks taking the school till the end of this term, to now giving some thought to giving 2 weeks. To cut a long story short we are moving I have a new role at another school lined up ready in 5 weeks time but those extra 2 weeks off would make the task of moving house so much easier or am I being selfish ?

Thanks
cusodave
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 19 16:57

Re: Handing in your notice

This would probably depend on your contract, i know that currently i have to give 9 weeks notice and that will raise to a maximum of 12 weeks over the next couple of years.
CAB state
' If you've been in your job for less than a month, you don't have to give notice unless the contract or terms and conditions require you to. If you've been in your job for more than 1 month, you must give at least 1 week's notice. It's best to resign in writing, so there's no argument about when you did it.'

Hope that helps [Like.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 19 17:54

As has been said it is down to contract although for most jobs it will be 4 weeks.

One thing to consider is any holiday you are entitled to you can take in your notice period, check with your BM or HR to ask about your contract (ask for a copy not what it says) and how many holidays you have left.
I have known one person who had loads of holiday left and didn't work any of the notice period.. [Like.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Apr 2024 20 08:31

Had to give 28 days notice when I left the school life. And the head made me work everyone of them. Even to my 5.30 finish time on the Friday. Awful person. Reason I left. But it gave me time to sort out all my own items I used at the school and bring home. Left them nothing.
5.30 came and nobody to take the keys off me. So locked up put keys through the letterbox and laughed my head off when the sensor set the burglar alarm off. Got in the car and drove out of the gates. 5 mins later security firm rings me. Are you near school. Yes. The alarm going off. Yes it is. Can you go back. No I've no keys I've finished working there. Oh. Well we will try the BM and heads number. No point there not available. Cost of call out £250. Oh dear. 🤣🤣 Lesson learnt head. Be a nicer person. Now they can't keep a caretaker. Numerous since I left have all told her to. Let you guess.
Not all heads are the same. Had some lovely ones in the past and enjoyed there friendship and respect. But we now have a different breed. Glad I'm out of schools.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 20 10:05

How about if you explain your situation to the HT and BM, maybe a mutually acceptable compromise could be achieved?
Being a long service employee, I had to give 3 months’ notice [Neutral.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 20 11:16

Mine was 4 weeks but as i was off sick with stress and depression at the time I didn't work a day of it. As has been said it will all depend on your contract
and the school will likely hold you to whatever is in it
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 20 12:13

I just handed mine in when i left and just put in the notice please advice my last day of shift, time of finish and who to hand over school property like keys to, they did the rest.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)