Job Breakdown

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 17 09:34

Re: Job Breakdown

MWCracker wrote: 17th Apr 2024 at 8:36am Your allowed a tea break? I got snitched on a few months back for having a cuppa. My HT said that I am not entitled to one as I do not work enough hours of the day. I work a split shift and 7.5hrs of the day so by law I should be entitled to at least 15 mins.
Am I right in thinking this?
I was having this discussion with one of our cleaning in the holiday about rest breaks. She said to me because she worked 4 hrs a day in the holiday( our cleaners have to do 12.5 hr in the easter holiday) she was entitled to a break and she had spoken to her union about this. I thought I would look into this. On the Gov.uk website it states ' Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more that 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break. The break doesn't have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract'.

So from what you have said you have the right to have a break. I think a lot of it comes down to common sense. We had an issue in the holiday where it took a number of hours to fix a problem with a sink, my assistant and I once we finished it had a break and some time out, he technically doesn't get a break as he only works 5 hours but it was a real struggle to fix the problem and it made sense to have a break.
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 17 09:52

I always found a cuppa helps to get you thinking and more motivated in the middle of either of the shifts.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. [Success.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 17 10:12

MWCracker wrote: 17th Apr 2024 at 9:52am I always found a cuppa helps to get you thinking and more motivated in the middle of either of the shifts.
I remember years ago being advised by our caretaking supervisor to spend 15 minutes after opening up to sit down with a cuppa to plan your day. It always seemed to work for me.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 17 17:56

As said above, if anyone moaned about me having a brew, I would highlight that I rarely get my entitlement of a 30 minute break without being called or looked for unless I hide!
outdoorman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 22 15:15

Where is the 30 minutes asleep in your office
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 22 16:05

MWCracker wrote: 17th Apr 2024 at 8:36am Your allowed a tea break? I got snitched on a few months back for having a cuppa. My HT said that I am not entitled to one as I do not work enough hours of the day. I work a split shift and 7.5hrs of the day so by law I should be entitled to at least 15 mins.
Am I right in thinking this?
You are entitled to an uninterrupted 20 minute break if you work more than 6 hours a day. As it is a split shift then unfortunately the HT is correct and therefore you are not allowed one by law. However you would think that there is no harm having a brew whilst sat doing admin.

My new BM insists that I have that break of at least 20 minutes during the holiday periods when I split my 36 hour week into 4 nine hour days. Previously I worked right through.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 23 06:49

When I left being a Caretaker, I was was amazed to find out that I was given an hours paid lunch break. It was part of my 7.5 hours a day. So I only actually worked for 6.5 hours a day. I left the building at lunchtime and sat in my car so I wasn't disturbed. How different life was out in the real world [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)