100 day cough

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

MajorD
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 02 12:09

100 day cough

Hello all.
Been away for 6 months (not for his majesty's pleasure [Big grin.png] ) just took time off.

I'm 2 weeks into my job at a lovely new school but have already had time off sick due to this persistent cough. The doctor is calling it whooping cough and once you are past the contagious stage, there is little they can do and you have to ride it out. That's all well and good but I haven't had a decent nights sleep in weeks and I'm exhausted. I don't want to take any more time off for obvious reasons.
Have any of you guys had or encounter this? What did you do to help if anything.
I've had enough of it!! [Cry.png]
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 02 12:14

Re: 100 day cough

I only thought that was a thing kids got. It was on the rise because of parents not getting the children vaccinated. Like you say not a lot you can do except ride it out.
MajorD
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 02 12:19

It's definitely not limited to kids. My mother in law has had it bad for a month, a lady at the school is coughing as much as me and I've passed out 3 times over the weeks due to lack of oxygen as I couldn't breathe! (I'm not as bad as that now).
Its horrible!!!!
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 02 12:46

Since covid there have been more people who never had coughs before being affected by long bouts of coughing. Including me. Weeks of poor sleep and sudden convulsive coughing fits.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 02 15:19

Not necessarily through coughing but I've had runs of little to no sleep.
I take Nytol and its just enough to get you to sleep but not too much to stop you functioning the next day.

Give it a try, you never know.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 03 07:56

I had a really bad cough in January. It was that bad and painful I got pins and needles sensations during coughing fits owing to lack of oxygen. I had a fair bit of time off work. Never been that ill from a cough, even when i was diagnosed with asthma as a child. When i finally got through to the doctors i was told it was pertussis (whooping cough) and as already stated i was told i was past the contagious stage and would have to ride it out.

We're now in May and i still have a slight mild cough but im in good health