Aurora

Share your photographs with other forum members. Discuss photography and equipment...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2024 03 01:37

Aurora

OK, what did I just see?

My wife called me outside 1am and said what the hell is that in the sky.

I've never seen anything like it. Ribbons of white light over in the East rippling at tremendous speed filling a good third of the night sky.

They moved in pulses every minute or so from right to left (east to north-east) and then disappear. A minute or less later they would appear again slightly to the left of the previous position they appeared. After about 10 minutes they had intensified and were very noticeable.

They were not coloured, just white. After another 5 minutes they began to fade until they disappeared.

I was unable to take a photo but managed to find some similar like images on Google to give you an idea of what we watched.

They were not the northern lights as firstly it is extremely rare they can be seen so far south and they were did not originate in the north but over to the east.

I am aware there is a lot of electrical activity currently in the air due to the storms which we completely missed here in Hastings. Could the atmosphere create an Aurora like phenomenon? It was nothing like lightning behind clouds. They were moving ribbons of light.

I feel blessed. I don't think we have just seen alien craft lol [Scared.png]

Aurora1.jpg
Aurora2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 03 07:58

Re: Aurora

At a guess I would say a storm over the continent the light looks similar to what you would see from sun rays through broken cloud.

Lightning in the upper atmosphere could move over the tops of the cloud with broken layers below giving the effect of moving curtains of light.

Either that or aliens

It must have been very impressive.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 03 09:07

We had storms late last night to the east of London, with the occasional flash of lightning and very distant rumbles [Neutral.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2024 11 09:49

Well, it looks like it was the northern lights. NOAA issued its first severe solar storm warning since 2005 as a huge geomagnetic storm raced towards Earth. Fears were also raised that the storm could interfere with infrastructure, including the power grid and satellites.

The Aurora Borealis, usually only visible from northern parts of the British Isles, was visible across large parts of the UK overnight, including Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and, unusually, southern England. Amazingly, it could also be seen in northern Germany going by some of the photos.
https://news.sky.com/story/northern-lig ... e-13133267

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 11 10:14

I’ve never seen the Northern Lights, its something on my bucket list.

Maybe it’s the solar storm that has affected my smartwatch, this morning it’s been locking up and after a restart does random tasks without me even touching the screen?

Its around 5 years old now so may just be age related, although after shutting it down for an hour or so it seems to have gone back to normal now, time will tell I suppose? (sorry for the pun)
[Scared.png] [Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.