Windows 11 to enable BitLocker encryption for everyone

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2024 20 13:38

Windows 11 to enable BitLocker encryption for everyone

According to Tom's Hardware, Windows 11 24H2 will enable BitLocker encryption for everyone — happens on both clean installs and reinstalls. I don't run a mission-critical setup like a business would, so I don't really need or want it. Thankfully, you can disable it but Microsoft are going beyond what is acceptable with regards to security for the normal home user.

Windows 11 24H2 also has un-bypassable hardware requirements. An unsupported CPU cannot boot Windows 11 24H2 if it doesn't have the SSE4.2 instruction set. You can use CPU-Z to see if your processor has SSE4.2.

If Microsoft carry on like this, I can see a lot of un-upgradable Windows 11 PC's being sold on Fleabay.

https://www.tomshardware.com/software/w ... reinstalls

https://www.tomshardware.com/software/w ... l-not-boot

When I say a lot, Windows 10 still rules as the TPM requirement for Windows 11 prevented a lot of people from upgrading. It now looks like Microsoft want to kill off the few Windows 11 users remaining.

And don't start on about AI to me. Something else I don't want is being forced upon us all. [Angry.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 20 14:21

Re: Windows 11 to enable BitLocker encryption for everyone

thecaretaker wrote: 20th May 2024 at 1:38pm If Microsoft carry on like this, I can see a lot of un-upgradable Windows 11 PC's being sold on Fleabay.
I doubt they would sell given their end of life software issues.

It’s all done with security in mind Microsoft tell us, but I sometimes wonder if it’s all done so backward compatibility is prevented. I can see a lot of Windows 10 users going over to other OS’s when the Windows security and improvement software updates end. I've been using Linux Mint on an old laptop that refused to update to Windows 7, it’s been running successfully and updating for around 5 years now. It’s a little bit more unforgiving, but with a bit of work is a viable replacement for Windows, and the best bit, it’s free.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 20 14:28

Re: Windows 11 to enable BitLocker encryption for everyone

thecaretaker wrote: 20th May 2024 at 1:38pm

And don't start on about AI to me. Something else I don't want is being forced upon us all. [Angry.png]
Know what you mean but some tech is amazing, recently bought a new Fuji s20 mirrorless camera and the tech is amazing!

"X-S20 features subject-detection AF developed with deep learning/artificial intelligence (AI) technology. In this case, AI is used to detect animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes, trains, insects and drones."

Put it in Auto, point and shoot [Thumb_up.png] trouble is besides getting into the dozens of menus there are also 3 more dials on the camera you can adjust, brain overload but I`m learning! just found out if I put it on auto and adjust menu to flower it lets me manual focus, important for close ups, I used to go into other menus for that.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch