PFI

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

ChrisB
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 24 07:39

PFI

Good Morning,

Just wondering if any schools in here fall under PFI? Our PFI contract runs until October 2025 so we are currently exploring our post PFI options.
I'd like to know other people's thoughts around this, and if indeed you're in a school that doesn't have a PFI contract, what options do you use for facilities management?

Thanks in advance
stunnn
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 24 08:58

Re: PFI

My first Principal used to have a PFI.. As I understand it they have a set X year plan of refurbishment and you pay them to do any other works required (repairs, etc.)

Well, It it will become YOUR (Schools) plan and you (School) need to arrange for contractors to do the works. You may have a Bursar or Business Manager who will do this with you.. And they will need to ensure that the funds are there to do it in the budget (they were paying the PFI anyway, so hopefully they will allocate the same).

You have more control over who / when / what... For example the carpet may not need replacing in xxxx corridor. Under PFU it would have been replaced anyway but you can not do it and use the funds for something more important..
That said, you (School) now have the hassle of arranging everything..
ChrisB
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 24 09:09

Re: PFI

Hi thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, I am aware of the implications/ pros and cons etc. I'm just curious to see what anybody is planning after the contract ends :)