Roof Risk Assessment

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

MrMatt
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 09:20

Re: Roof Risk Assessment

Vera wrote: 23rd May 2024 at 8:27am You mean two of you on the roof together or one up one down?

It goes hopefully without saying that anyone should never go on a roof whilst lone working.
Lol should have made that a bit clearer after reading back. One up one down.
'Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions' - Haruki Murakami.
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 12:15

Barnet wrote: 22nd May 2024 at 4:25pm Hi all, when it comes to yearly checks of any form of barrier, how much would that tend to cost? Are there companies that members would recommend or use themselves?

Just wondering if it could be our local builder? Or a contractor that is already doing something else on site, like the gates.
You need a company that deals in roof systems. Our contractor has informed me that the regs have changed regarding lifelines/roof systems. Ours needs a yearly certification and test but other may differ.
Barnet
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 16:27

Thanks for those responses to the guardrails. If I had to go get a ball maybe once a quarter/6 months, I can access the roof from the first floor windows (when I take the window restrictor off), so no need for ladders, and I try and stay away from the edge*.

However, we have a duty of care as a school (not least to me lol) and the contractors who service the air con condensers on the flat roof, and we always need to demonstrate up to date health and safety protocols anyway.

I see ones that are placed on top rather than fixed. https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/handrailing ... -guardrail
https://armcobarriersbyctsafety.co.uk/f ... rotection/

Back to that Asterix above, recently I was up there and I thought I would collect a bit of rubbish that was in the far corner, and with me thinking I have to be careful with my footing because even though I can do this with my eyes closed - accidents happen - well despite me thinking I am careful I slipped on what looks like dirt that was wet, and nearly loft my balance!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 17:26

Barnet wrote: 23rd May 2024 at 4:27pm Thanks for those responses to the guardrails. If I had to go get a ball maybe once a quarter/6 months, I can access the roof from the first floor windows (when I take the window restrictor off), so no need for ladders, and I try and stay away from the edge*.

However, we have a duty of care as a school (not least to me lol) and the contractors who service the air con condensers on the flat roof, and we always need to demonstrate up to date health and safety protocols anyway.

I see ones that are placed on top rather than fixed. https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/handrailing ... -guardrail
https://armcobarriersbyctsafety.co.uk/f ... rotection/

Back to that Asterix above, recently I was up there and I thought I would collect a bit of rubbish that was in the far corner, and with me thinking I have to be careful with my footing because even though I can do this with my eyes closed - accidents happen - well despite me thinking I am careful I slipped on what looks like dirt that was wet, and nearly loft my balance!
Those are the sort we have, I think all edge protection now sits on top of the roof covering so as to maintain the integrity of the roof.

Like I said you only slip once. that's why i am on hands and knees when within 2m of the edge.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 24 10:34

My counties generic risk assessment says caretakers can not access flat roofs by a leaning ladder only by a scaffold or tower. Also must of had tower training.
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want