Light fittings

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Zoltar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 11:10

Light fittings

Hi all and Happy Friday.

Just wondering if a standard 5ft tube (Triphosphor ones) can be put back into a fitting that has been retrofitted to take T8 LED tubes?

I have tried it and it worked with a starter put back in place but wondering about the safety side of it before I leave it in there. Dont want it blowing up or tripping out the breaker.

Many thanks
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 12:16

Re: Light fittings

My way of thinking is if it's supposed to have x then x must be fitted. Why are you using a fluorescent tube in a LED fitting?. LED are much better and you don't have the aggro if the tube breaks. Only a qualified electrician will be able to answer this question. I would not chance it as if it goes belly up your in the brown stuff.
Zoltar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 13:03

grimoopnorth wrote: 7th Jun 2024 at 12:16pm My way of thinking is if it's supposed to have x then x must be fitted. Why are you using a fluorescent tube in a LED fitting?. LED are much better and you don't have the aggro if the tube breaks. Only a qualified electrician will be able to answer this question. I would not chance it as if it goes belly up your in the brown stuff.
It was originally a fluorescent fitting that has had a T8 led tube put in to make it more energy efficient. It is an old fitting so will be replaced but just needed a quick fix and it has seemed to work.
Simon
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 13:44

A T8 Led tube is just like a fluorescent version of an energy saving bulb and can be fitted into the old light fitting so will be fine changing it back to a standard fluorescent tube.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 15:43

Why?
Just get the fitting replaced with an LED fitting.
Fluorescent tubes are no longer on sale so why fiddle now with something you are going to have to replace anyway?

"T5 & T8 fluorescent and compact fluorescent tubes have been phased out. In 2023, T5 and T8 fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) were phased out in accordance with the European Commission's Ecodesign and RoHS Directives."
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]