Legionella in water butts

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 10:26

Re: Legionella in water butts

There is legionella bacteria everywhere in water. The crux of the matter is - will it be in spray form so it can be inhaled into the lungs?
As Scooter says, if you can eliminate the spray then I would say it shouldn't be a problem.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Simon
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 10:41

ElGuapo wrote: 7th Jun 2024 at 10:26am There is legionella bacteria everywhere in water. The crux of the matter is - will it be in spray form so it can be inhaled into the lungs?
As Scooter says, if you can eliminate the spray then I would say it shouldn't be a problem.
You could say that about any water outlet in the school but they all have to be tested regularly, you can't make an exception for a water butt especially as the likelihood is that the temperature and stagnation of the water will be ideal breeding grounds for legionella.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 10:46

Simon wrote: 7th Jun 2024 at 10:41am You could say that about any water outlet in the school but they all have to be tested regularly, you can't make an exception for a water butt especially as the likelihood is that the temperature and stagnation of the water will be ideal breeding grounds for legionella.
You can't eliminate the chance of spray in a school system (showers, taps, kitchen spray taps), but you can with a water butt.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 15:37

Scooter wrote: 7th Jun 2024 at 10:02am How about insisting that the watering cans used don't have the rose on the end to ensure the water is poured on rather than sprayed out? I don't even think the rose on the end would create a breathable mist of water anyway but just to be sure? Water butts are a great way of saving water and it would be a shame for some over the top red tape to get in the way.
I 100% agree, at home where it is your risk.

At school? NO.
Red tape is there for a reason sometimes, legionella is a killer particularly of old and Young.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 07 21:48

This is also a no from me. Our deputy head ordered one back at the beginning of the year for part of the recycling club.
I refused to install or have any part of it. It now sits in the PE cupboard for storing footballs, perfect [Like.png]
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 10 07:57

Looks like most people on here wouldn't have it, at the end of the day it's the heads decision. We have a couple, the risk is minimal with reasonable mitigation. Give the head all the facts and let them decide.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 10 09:16

Scooter wrote: 10th Jun 2024 at 7:57am Looks like most people on here wouldn't have it, at the end of the day it's the heads decision. We have a couple, the risk is minimal with reasonable mitigation. Give the head all the facts and let them decide.
Whilst absolutely true it is the heads decision.
Certainly here my head would base their opinion on my advice or in most cases just use my word.

I still would consider the risk too high even with mitigation for legionella. the safe option is to not have them on site.
There are also considerable risks from stagnant water including batcterial growth, larvae and mosquito propagation.

Just install a garden tap and add it to your legionella register.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 10 09:53

Vera wrote: 10th Jun 2024 at 9:16am Just install a garden tap and add it to your legionella register.
We did exactly this, and bought some watering cans [Thumb_up.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
stunnn
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 10 12:15

Vera wrote: 10th Jun 2024 at 9:16am Whilst absolutely true it is the heads decision.
Certainly here my head would base their opinion on my advice or in most cases just use my word.

I still would consider the risk too high even with mitigation for legionella. the safe option is to not have them on site.
There are also considerable risks from stagnant water including batcterial growth, larvae and mosquito propagation.

Just install a garden tap and add it to your legionella register.
If the head is that insistant, then write up a RA and get them to sign it off.
(Not that you wern't going to do a RA anyway)
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 10 15:17

Vera wrote: 6th Jun 2024 at 3:12pm They are a no in a education setting form me.
Zero control of legionella or parasitic growth.

It's just a bad idea.

Ask them to write their own risk assessment.. [Scared.png]
I thinnk its important to caveat that this is specific to your site.

on the flip side, we have 3 water butts on site and they have never been deemed an issue nor brought up in any legionealla risk assessment i have had.

Rememeber that whilst legionella may be present in water, its dispersed via droplets and earasol form- not really how water butts work. they are also independent of any water systems and not used for consumption. Legionella is also mainly (NOT SOLELY BUT MAINLY) a higher risk for those certain groups of people. in pareticular the elderly and smokers.

Id argue water butts are low to very low risk. Id go further and state that the vapours in your AC units would have a bigger risk factor, but we know that AC units wont be banned from school sites.

If worried, consult the people who do your L8 risk assessment
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]