School car parking

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider, jay

Reacher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 04 14:34

Re: School car parking

We have a parking pass system in place which is governed by the Head, supposed to be for disabled/SEN only. But is taken advantage of by the PTA who are also given passes for their own events, but use them on a daily basis.
Generally it works ok, but we have had a few parents who are given the gate code by PTA friends or who try and tailgate their way in.

I don't really get too involved, after all l am not a qualified traffic/parking officer and we all hold the same driving licence! So who am l to tell others where/how to park.
I just stand there for 30 minutes each side of the day in the sunshine. (Other weather is available.)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 04 14:50

Reacher wrote: 4th Jul 2024 at 2:34pm We have a parking pass system in place which is governed by the Head, supposed to be for disabled/SEN only. But is taken advantage of by the PTA who are also given passes for their own events, but use them on a daily basis.
Generally it works ok, but we have had a few parents who are given the gate code by PTA friends or who try and tailgate their way in.

I don't really get too involved, after all l am not a qualified traffic/parking officer and we all hold the same driving licence! So who am l to tell others where/how to park.
I just stand there for 30 minutes each side of the day in the sunshine. (Other weather is available.)
Although you are correct, we are talking school property where your job description (assuming a caretaker or SM) says that you are to maintain and manage the site (including car park).
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
sstarwars
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 10 21:54

I'm going to remind them this as my school is always getting obsessed with the parking out on the road and its highways not school property. They are having me put the cones out in the main road further apart each week. Now the parents park in the bus stop!
You get the odd parent who actually move the cones and this has ended up in a fight between parents a few times but I tend to keep out of it.

Vera wrote: 4th Jul 2024 at 2:50pm Although you are correct, we are talking school property where your job description (assuming a caretaker or SM) says that you are to maintain and manage the site (including car park).
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 11 07:19

sstarwars wrote: 10th Jul 2024 at 9:54pm I'm going to remind them this as my school is always getting obsessed with the parking out on the road and its highways not school property. They are having me put the cones out in the main road further apart each week. Now the parents park in the bus stop!
You get the odd parent who actually move the cones and this has ended up in a fight between parents a few times but I tend to keep out of it.
Do you have a local PCSO?
If so try to get them involved, they will tell the school not to put anything on the highway and possibly monitor the school occasionally to issue warnings or FPN's where applicable.

Our PCSO is great and I always go out of my way to sit and chat with him over a cup of tea, he does great work for the local schools.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 11 08:01

If you still get vehicles coming into the site unauthorised, then start recording near misses and the SLT will soon listen as anything happens on the whole site is their responsibility and accountability.
sstarwars
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 11 10:57

I haven't seen a PCSO at our place, I know there used to be one when my kids went to the school. I will try and find out but when we rang them before they just said we need to dial 101 and report it each day but obviously by the time you get through picking up time is over.