Oh what to do.

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 17:33

Re: Oh what to do.

Thanks guys I have been given some good advice here. I will take something from all of the posts but namely I will point anyone in the direction of the BM and ignore their start and finish times.

So with that said.

Elvis has left the building.

Thanks one again.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 13 12:35

You are monitoring the contractor`s performance for the client`s side. That is as it should be. If you have been told that cleaning has been taken out of your hands, it is difficult to watch standards go down. But sadly that is what you have to do. I know how that feels. It is not good.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 13 20:29

Take pictures where the cleaning is not up to standard, email them to the business manager AND copy the Head in.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 14 07:07

ElGuapo wrote: 13th Nov 2022 at 8:29pm Take pictures where the cleaning is not up to standard, email them to the business manager AND copy the Head in.
I wouldn't advise copying the head in at this stage, unless you have a very good relationship with both.

If one of my staff decided to email me something and copy my boss in, I wouldn't be impressed and our relationship would likely go down hill. An email to the BM alone is enough to cover your back. You can show it later to the Head if questioned.
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 14 10:22

Once you get over this initial hurdle would love to hear how you get on with the situation as cleaner sickness is a big issue on our site now and always. We have three schools/buildings on site and have a total of 8 cleaners between them plus two site managers. For 3 days last week we had two cleaners in. I ended up doing an extra 8 hours work over those few days (the other site manager refuses to do overtime and doesn't like to clean so tends to give it "if it's not done, it's not done" attitude.) Needless to say I was pretty warn out by the weeks end.

We floated the idea of outsourcing for cleaning completely, but unfortunately, the BM that wanted it left quite quickly so it never got resolved. Any stories, good or bad would be appreciated. The main point of interest is sickness cover and how reliable their system is or have been, I know every company would be different but it would just be good to hear.
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 14 11:04

I think you can pick up the consensus that if the BM has instructed you, then thats pretty much a done deal. You should of course notify of any major concerns or cleaning failures but not nit-pick IMO. Use the contractors day book - but dont be the only one making complaints or making them regularly. The advice here is to let it go. Focus on the other tasks you can now do with more time. You are clearly dedicated but dont pee anybody off by digging in on the cleaning. I expect the school is saving significant money and so your BM (and HT) are looking for support. They will not lose any sleep if the cleaning standards are not tip-top, believe me. So - occassional notifications if cleaning is well under par and you crack on with other tasks as instructed. I know becuase I had the same scenario. If and when there are issues then its (fortunately) up to O and your SLT to rectify. Good luck.
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 14 14:07

AlboUnderhill wrote: 14th Nov 2022 at 10:22am For 3 days last week we had two cleaners in. I ended up doing an extra 8 hours work over those few days (the other site manager refuses to do overtime and doesn't like to clean so tends to give it "if it's not done, it's not done" attitude.) Needless to say I was pretty warn out by the weeks end.

I bet you were, and I bet he can as you are there to pick up the slack, He must love having you around.
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 14 14:56

AlboUnderhill we have had our own cleaners and then changed to agency cleaners the first company went bust and took a while for the cleaners to get their money back.
The second company we have don't have a good reputation but my boss took them on as they were cheap. the down shot of that it's been really hard to keep cleaners. one area was empty for nearly 2 years. and covering has been a bit of a nightmare with me having to step in in the mornings when no one turns up.
when i'v mentioned this, all i get is well your not being charged for it.
And the cleaning well - its not as good as my own cleaners. i was told at the beginning it was nothing to do with me so kept out. when things got bad i was asked why i hadn't done anything and that it was my job. Can't win.
Anyway their area manager has to come in once a month to check the areas and see how things are. they have just changed managers so i'm hoping for better, as the last one kept saying she couldn't come in for the last 3 years as she needed to stay safe [Neutral.png]
I suppose it depends on the company hopefully there are some good ones out there, but i'd much prefer my own cleaners again.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 14 17:03

Nail wrote: 14th Nov 2022 at 7:07am I wouldn't advise copying the head in at this stage, unless you have a very good relationship with both.

If one of my staff decided to email me something and copy my boss in, I wouldn't be impressed and our relationship would likely go down hill. An email to the BM alone is enough to cover your back. You can show it later to the Head if questioned.
Actually yeah that’s a good point to be fair. Maybe show the email to the Head at a later date if questioned. At least then you have covered yourself.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 14 19:32

TheTakerofCare wrote: 14th Nov 2022 at 2:07pm I bet you were, and I bet he can as you are there to pick up the slack, He must love having you around.
Yeah, as long as the overtime comes in, I can't complain too much. At least I know where I stand with him. No surprises.
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing