PTA Events

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 28 14:31

Re: PTA Events

Gazza wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 2:16pm What i observed was more than the odd window being left open

- fire exits blocked with stacked tables and chairs
- training cables in walkways
- decorations being hung from above false ceilings where ACMs are present
- electrical equipment damaged to the point it would fail any PAT test being used and un supervised
- nuts being prepped in a nut free kitchen

my intention wasnt to go looking for these things it was to help out and show support, i just happened to notice them in my capacity as a guest. now surely i wouldnt be doing my job if i didnt act on these things regardless as to how i came across the information. My post was simply to ascertain if people have been put in the same isituation and how they dealt with the burden of knowledge.
I get what you're saying, I do. My point is, what happened if you didn't go? It would still have happened! Go and enjoy the thing, turn off for an hour, at the end of the day, as some have said on here before me, THEY are responsible for the event, not you, THEY have to answer for their deeds not you, Next year, if you see them make some clever quip about nuts or something ( good spot that BTW, well above and beyond stuff there) and leave it at that, you enjoy the day and buy a plaster cast bauble and stay calm and serene.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 14:48

Gazza wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 2:16pm What i observed was more than the odd window being left open

- fire exits blocked with stacked tables and chairs
- training cables in walkways
- decorations being hung from above false ceilings where ACMs are present
- electrical equipment damaged to the point it would fail any PAT test being used and un supervised
- nuts being prepped in a nut free kitchen

my intention wasnt to go looking for these things it was to help out and show support, i just happened to notice them in my capacity as a guest. now surely i wouldnt be doing my job if i didnt act on these things regardless as to how i came across the information. My post was simply to ascertain if people have been put in the same isituation and how they dealt with the burden of knowledge.
Sorry, so what did you do about the decorations after the event? You observed that they had been put up, presumably they were ignorant of the fact that the tiles had Asbestos above, but then did what in terms of them being removed without disturbing the tiles again?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 14:49

The one I would immediately report is the nuts in the nut free kitchen as that could have life threatening consequences.

The others I would note on a post event bulletin which can be emailled to those concerned.

Try to be constructive and maybe suggest ways that the issues could be resolved or prevented next time. [Thumb_up.png]

Every year I send put an email to all staff about blocking fire exits for the nativity and carols they practice and perform.
It used to be that i would do all in my power to help and offer alternatives only to be given the "its always been done this way" reply.
Now it's just the email to cover my back and leave it at that.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 23:05

My assistant and I called these events P I T A events. We helped setup and took part but advised the person in charge that it’s their event and they are responsible. Mostly it was the stupid use of multiple extension leads and trailing cables we needed to step in and help sort out.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 29 02:47

I had a good relationship with my PTA. The chair and I would sit down with a cup of coffee before any event and talk through what they were planning. It was their show and I would just advise and provide what support was needed.
I would advise on safety matters about their set up and give them an events guide to go by. After that, it was their show.
We never had a problem.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 29 07:14

trout39843 wrote: 29th Nov 2022 at 2:47am I had a good relationship with my PTA. The chair and I would sit down with a cup of coffee before any event and talk through what they were planning. It was their show and I would just advise and provide what support was needed.
I would advise on safety matters about their set up and give them an events guide to go by. After that, it was their show.
We never had a problem.
Much the same here.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 29 07:49

Nail wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 2:48pm Sorry, so what did you do about the decorations after the event? You observed that they had been put up, presumably they were ignorant of the fact that the tiles had Asbestos above, but then did what in terms of them being removed without disturbing the tiles again?
glad someone asked. i insisted i removed them as i knew the exact location of the asbestos (its a thin paper material wedged between the steel frame holding up the roof- presumably for vibration and movement purposes). Anyhow it was not disturbed so there was no need to go beyond simply moving the decorations wth care.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 29 07:52

Thank you all for your responses it seems the concensus is to send a polite feedback form but essentially leave them to it.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 29 08:15

Gazza wrote: 29th Nov 2022 at 7:52am Thank you all for your responses it seems the concensus is to send a polite feedback form but essentially leave them to it.
Definitely follow up the nut - Kitchen thing..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 29 14:41

We have lots of nuts in our kitchen here…….I won’t bore you with the punchline [Neutral.png]
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.