Smiling Hurts

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2023 01 19:31

Re: Smiling Hurts

magpie wrote: 1st Oct 2023 at 6:42pm I was in a secondary school and had to use my pass to lift the barrier to let cars through. The barrier was maybe 50 yards from the entrance at the front of the car park but i usually wasn't smiling by having to put up with grief and arguments because the poor little darlings in their parents eyes couldn't walk that extra 50 yards and they wanted to drop their child off right next to the front door, especially when it was raining. I often said well i have to stand here in the rain for 40 minutes each day and it will take your child less then 2 minutes to get into school, it always fell on deaf ears though and i was often threatened with going above my head but it didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact that was probably the only time i did have a smile on my face
I had the same. nothing but abuse from parents in their 4x4's. If it happened to be raining, it was worse. I've been called names that would make the toughest person blush. Folk do seem particularly grumpy in the mornings. And when kids see their parents dishing out the obscenities, they think they have the right to treat all adults the same. My school wasn't nicknamed Vandal Valley for nothing [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 02 08:19

I Loved gate duty but now I don't get to do it anymore.

It was great to see all the kids and parents in the morning (even if it was raining).

But yes my face did ache afterwards (cup of tea usually sorted it..)
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
MrMatt
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 02 09:34

I love doing gate duty. I think it's great to meet and get to know the parents. I also think that if the parents see their kids interacting with high fives and hellos and having a smile on their faces, it puts them at ease.

I've had numerous comments over the years from parents on how my mood (smiles,hellos,etc) has influenced them and put them in a good mood for their day, this has also got back to my headteacher which obviously earns me huge amounts of kudos.

The game I play to make me smile and give me a buzz is to be extra nice to the awkward miserable parents, because I know it probably hurts for them to be nice back.
'Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions' - Haruki Murakami.
narrowboat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 03 07:16

Good Morning All.

My first post, Thank you for accepting me to this great Forum.

I never did gate duty as such, But I did the school crossing patrol for 20 years. best start and finish to my day. The children were great as were most of the parents.

I have been a Caretaker for 35 years, in phased retirement now.