Painting and decorating

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider, jay

Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 07 21:41

Re: Painting and decorating

Last year we went through a large tendering process for the decoration of both the main school hall and gym.
Compared to other large works, painting and decorating as stand-alone has always proved problematic. It took weeks just to find anyone who was remote interested, or who would even agree to visit site for quotes.

Most work which needs decoration is usually carried out as part of the spec from the building company, so it’s there problem.
Getting a dedicated decorating company was near on impossible. No one was interested, they even said as much.
Personally I think it was more to do with having the correct access equipment. It’s all well and good hiring mobile scaffold or alike but it’s the tickets or insurance to use.

The job did get done in the end (at a cost) but it’s not something I either want too or have the time to arrange again any time soon!
I wish you good luck [Thumb_up.png]
Pebble
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 08 06:28

With just two weeks to go, you might find it hard to even find a contractor who will take on the work. IME, at short notice, the good companies are booked up well in advance, sometimes months ahead.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 08 07:46

Sitesupervisor wrote: 5th Jun 2024 at 1:21pm Get your school office to send a letter to parents asking if ANYONE`S DAD OR MUM is a painter, We do it all the time and sometimes even get it for free, which makes the risks assessment and method statement a little harder. We now have quite a good list of joiners, painters,plasters, ect.Parent then feel like it's their school when they help.

But worth it [Like.png] .
From past experience, i have found this a minefield of a route to go down. Great if all goes according to plan, but the second you ahit a stumbling block and you have no insurance, no garuntees, no comebacks should thingsd go wrong 3 months down the line, the parents feel like they are doing a favour so there is this grey area when you have a query.

Fair play to you if you go down this route and likewise if you alread have, just from personal experience though it wouldnt be a route i reccomend
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
JeffW
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 08 09:06

It's interesting reading this.
I do all the painting and decorating myself, always during holidays, and sometimes i'll do overtime at weekends to paint.

That's in a Primary School though.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 08 10:33

JeffW wrote: 8th Jul 2024 at 9:06am It's interesting reading this.
I do all the painting and decorating myself, always during holidays, and sometimes i'll do overtime at weekends to paint.

Secondary school here and all painting is in-house too unless it's part of a bigger project.
Nedge
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 08 17:30

All our painting and decorating i s done by the caretkers here, one of which is having a shoulder replacement so its just going to be me this year. Ive already closed 4 classrooms and started them so i will have enough time.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 08 19:07

JeffW wrote: 8th Jul 2024 at 9:06am It's interesting reading this.

Also primary and all painting is carried out in-house other than the hall and gym as said. They are simply to large and high.
Without the right equipment it would be a nightmare hence contractor for these only [Thumb_up.png]
twernip
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 10 14:56

Thanks all, for recommendations and ideas alike. We've had some quotes in from both independents AND ESCC contractors and the Head turned a funny colour and said maybe next year! [Big grin.png]

As an aside, I expect to do the majority of painting and decorating here (Primary school) but this is for the Hall which is a little bit too high. Ho hum!

Thanks again!
Stercus accidit.