Stop Oil Protesters

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 09:35

Re: Stop Oil Protesters

I am no expert on reducing reliance on fossil fuels. That said, I feel that the use of plastics in wind turbines etc is a weak argument for not promoting their use. Surely, some reliance on harmful processes is better than total reliance on energy derived from fully harmful processes.

I am undecided about the effectiveness of the extreme actions of the stop oil protestors. I can see the arument put forward, by another poster, that people are talking about their actions rather than the cause. For me, the number of elderly protestors involved has made me more aware of their message. (If it had just been a bunch of students I would have been more dismissive of it.) If they hadn't had the coverage then I wouldn't have seen this repeatedly.

Maybe drifting off point here but the big issue for me is how we balance achieving environmental preservation globally. Most of the developed nations see the need but some aren't willing to write-off their fossil fuel reserves or be competitively disadvantaged when rival producers do not adhere to the same standards. There is also an historical perspective to this regarding the ownership of resources and past polluters (who have built great wealth) demanding that less developed nations curtail processes that they may have invested heavily in.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2023 06 10:09

Last chance... I have already removed a post due to bad language. Any more and the entire thread will go the same way. I appreciate it is an extremely emotive subject, but that is no excuse to give my bad word censor a work out. As I have already posted, keep it friendly and polite.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 10:15

thecaretaker wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 10:09am Last chance... I have already removed a post due to bad language. Any more and the entire thread will go the same way. I appreciate it is an extremely emotive subject, but that is no excuse to give my bad word censor a work out. As I have already posted, keep it friendly and polite.
I totally agree. It’s a shame that genuine questions are met with such an outraged response rather than actual answers and dialogue. This type of response makes a very weak argument and is a recurring trend when this subject comes up. Real shame.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 10:16

I am sorry i posted this now re the bad feelings that seem to be appearing with some members, the post was not who is right or wrong it was the amount of money it cost the Met police.

And my mistake for thinking any tax we paid went to the government hence the "Tax we pay", i am not against any person or organisation protesting or trying to make this world a better or safer place to live for future generations but JSO did it in such a way it blackmailed every one causing mass hardship for some.

I will always remember a guy who works for himself on the news stuck at the front of the protesters in an electric van and they still would not let him pass them and he had to ring his client and cancel the appointment and he lost money that day.

Can admin please stop any further comments on this post as i do not want these great members we have on here falling out over this, thank you and thank members for their views but enough is enough, stay safe.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2023 06 10:20

EBJ wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 10:16am Can admin please stop any further comments on this post as i do not want these great members we have on here falling out over this, thank you and thank members for their views but enough is enough, stay safe.
No problem. Consider it done! [Like.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)