Holidays? Any one been refused a holiday?

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 08:17

Re: Holidays? Any one been refused a holiday?

Gray52 wrote: 6th Jun 2023 at 7:58am The reason I have 3 weeks over the summer is to get all my holidays in. As my contract says “ I’m expected “ to take holidays in the school holidays that’s what I’ve always done. I don’t want holidays in October --- (The word only permitted in the month of December) --- or February which was also mentioned. If I let that happen then it will become the norm very quickly and will be expected to work in the intire summer holidays.
Ok that’s a fair enough comment but 3 weeks is 15 days. I presume you are full time as you said 52 week contract so what about the other 10 days minimum? What do you do with that?

What about the other questions asked? It all seems very vague to give a proper response.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 09:37

Vera wrote: 6th Jun 2023 at 8:11am If you have a union then ask for advice but always the first port of call is a polite email asking for the reasons for the refusal of the holidays requested.

You need a paper trail on this as it all seems very suspect and frankly a little bit odd.

No roof works will ever be scheduled in under 7 weeks and if your management wishes you to be on site during the works over a major holiday period they should really have given you maximum notice not just wait until you request the holiday then say "NO".. [Confused.png]
I would say they should also be flexible to you to allow you to use your holiday entitlement if they really need you there during this period of time.
I would argue that that they shouldn't have to have given notice of the work in advance if they expected him to be on site. I expect my team to be on site every day that they're employed if it's not a booked holiday, bank holiday, etc.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 09:49

Nail wrote: 6th Jun 2023 at 9:37am I would argue that that they shouldn't have to have given notice of the work in advance if they expected him to be on site. I expect my team to be on site every day that they're employed if it's not a booked holiday, bank holiday, etc.
But if you know it's a major holiday period and the member of your team: a, usually takes a longer holiday entitlement during the summer holidays and b, they have holiday entitlement to take. c, there is no one else that can do it?
Is it really still reasonable to expect that you can just refuse the holiday request with no explanation?

I guess it comes down to if you treat employees as a number or respect that they have a life outside of work. One way creates respect amongst work colleagues the other does the exact opposite.

There is no point in causing undue stress to someone if the proper planning could have identified and rectified a potential problem ahead of time.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 10:27

Vera wrote: 6th Jun 2023 at 9:49am But if you know it's a major holiday period and the member of your team: a, usually takes a longer holiday entitlement during the summer holidays and b, they have holiday entitlement to take. c, there is no one else that can do it?
Is it really still reasonable to expect that you can just refuse the holiday request with no explanation?

I guess it comes down to if you treat employees as a number or respect that they have a life outside of work. One way creates respect amongst work colleagues the other does the exact opposite.

There is no point in causing undue stress to someone if the proper planning could have identified and rectified a potential problem ahead of time.
Of course I don't think it's reasonable to to refuse with no explanation and I bet one has been given. Three sides to every story....
Gray52
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 10:42

Sparky wrote: 6th Jun 2023 at 8:17am Ok that’s a fair enough comment but 3 weeks is 15 days. I presume you are full time as you said 52 week contract so what about the other 10 days minimum? What do you do with that?

What about the other questions asked? It all seems very vague to give a proper response.

I have 30 day’s holiday. I split my holiday between Easter, summer holidays and --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- holiday. I then have a long weekend every half term, just book a Friday off. I don’t want to be taking the bulk of my holiday in October, December or February.

Just to give you a heads up of what I’m working with I was on a manual handing course. From that I gathered I should have a grit box placed in the car park to help with gritting. I put an order In For one. It never turned up, when I asked why I cannot have one the response was “as I had not needed one since I had been there I don’t need one” then I thought what’s the point of the manual handling course other than for them to tick a box to say I’ve been on one but not allowed to implement anything I’ve gathered from it.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 10:52

Ensure there is a risk assessment for spreading salt- also including the delivery and storage etc. Then put down recommendations for location of salt box to reduce manual handling and proper storage.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 10:58

It sounds to me that there's more of a communication issue in general than just a holiday issue....
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 11:07

Gray52 wrote: 6th Jun 2023 at 10:42am I have 30 day’s holiday. I split my holiday between Easter, summer holidays and --- (The word only permitted in the month of December) --- holiday. I then have a long weekend every half term, just book a Friday off. I don’t want to be taking the bulk of my holiday in October, December or February.

Just to give you a heads up of what I’m working with I was on a manual handing course. From that I gathered I should have a grit box placed in the car park to help with gritting. I put an order In For one. It never turned up, when I asked why I cannot have one the response was “as I had not needed one since I had been there I don’t need one” then I thought what’s the point of the manual handling course other than for them to tick a box to say I’ve been on one but not allowed to implement anything I’ve gathered from it.
I was once asked to remove salt bin from near front door as it was unsightly, I said it was there so we had salt to make the entrance paths safe!
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 11:26

Sparky wrote: 5th Jun 2023 at 10:14pm You normally take 3 weeks over summer?

Did your manager (Site, HT or BM?) really just say no…. End of? No explanation?
Nothing wrong with that I've normally got 3-4 weeks of since it's the only time I can take
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 06 11:36

Nail wrote: 6th Jun 2023 at 10:58am It sounds to me that there's more of a communication issue in general than just a holiday issue....
Spot on I reckon… sounds like a few issues here but not entirely related to annual leave.