Legionella / Cold water storage tanks

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Jomell
Forum Member
Forum Member
Aug 2018 10 06:22

Legionella / Cold water storage tanks

At my school we have 2 x cold water storage tanks which are situated in the boiler room and are fed directly from the water mains.

The are both currently reading 23 degrees and have been around this reading for the last 3 months. No wonder we can't get a reading of below 20 degrees at the taps [Scared.png]

I'm guessing this will be a common problem with a lot of other schools?

Apart from regularly flushing through the system, has anybody out there having any suggestions? We are due a Legionella risk assessment at the end of this month.

trout39843
Forum Member
Forum Member
Aug 2018 10 06:57

Re: Legionella / Cold water storage tanks

I would get a copy of the recent weather temps. and keep it with your readings. Also, you might want to look at insulating the tanks to help keep them cool.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Aug 2018 10 11:49

I'd be pushing for the tanks to be remover and run the taps directly from the mains supply.
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

adonis2
Forum Member
Forum Member
Aug 2018 10 20:07

I was having the same problems with the incoming mains temperature, our water treatment company said it was the extreme weather we are having and the water authorities are allowed to supply water up to 25c.

trout39843
Forum Member
Forum Member
Aug 2018 12 13:15

seanallen wrote:
Fri, Jth Aug 2018, 11:49am
I'd be pushing for the tanks to be remover and run the taps directly from the mains supply.
It would cost too much to have the tanks removed bro. Hooking the taps up to the mains is simple, but you also have to look at the water heaters and low pressure (heating) systems. Reduced pressure valves would have to be installed and they can be a pain.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.

SneakyPete69
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 17 16:41

We were advised to fit smaller tanks for more rapid flow through.

adonis
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 18 07:50

done away with ours a few years ago. They were insulated, no water heaters to worry about, and a plumber just bypassed the tank so all outlets are now mains fed (certificate issued). Tanks are still in situ as they are to big and expensive to remove.
Don't let the school tell you what your entitled to. Check it out and tell them.

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 18 08:33

Be very careful before hooking up to the mains supply. There is a reason to have storage tanks, they do not impede the water pressure especially when everyone flushes a toilet and you can have no pressure upstairs which then sucks air in if a tap is used in a sink there.

It also reduces the overall pressure throughout the building.

Wherever possible I would encourage the use of storage tanks, the hassle of balancing cisterns, pressure tanks or having no water supply at some outlets is not worth decommissioning them.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 18 11:51

Jubbs wrote:
Tue, Jth Sep 2018, 8:33am
Be very careful before hooking up to the mains supply. There is a reason to have storage tanks, they do not impede the water pressure especially when everyone flushes a toilet and you can have no pressure upstairs which then sucks air in if a tap is used in a sink there.

It also reduces the overall pressure throughout the building.

Wherever possible I would encourage the use of storage tanks, the hassle of balancing cisterns, pressure tanks or having no water supply at some outlets is not worth decommissioning them.
Agree with Jubbs on this subject and i did discuss this once with our company that managed all our water tanks, tvr's and general water taps ect and he said we were OK as we were and especially as they cleaned the tanks each year and and added the correct chemicals to the filled water tank with a certificate of cleaning and inspection. [Like.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Nail
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 18 11:52

Any chance you've got an issue with your hot water system letting by into the tanks?