Ideas for good appraisal targets

Discuss Unions, Contracts, T&Cs, Pay, Leave, Appraisals...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Drillbit
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 13 15:43

Ideas for good appraisal targets

Hello lads and laddesses

I really can't think of good targets include. I done the course targets and things like that. Are there any targets actually worth including?

My job description says I should be working towards 'National occupational standards for facilities management and knowledge/skill equivalent to national qualifications level 3' (and breath), I don't even know what that is!

And I don't want to leave it to the BM because, well because it won't be a proper appraisal.

Some you guys do appraisals, what sort of things do you do to actually improve your staff?

Fanks

DAE avatar
cusodave
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 14 07:45

Re: Ideas for good appraisal targets

Level 3 courses are equivalent to an A level, there are many level 3 courses you could work on which would relate to the job, such as NEBOSH, H&S or even a specific facilities management course.
Google will give you a whole list of sites providing these, as long as the school are willing to pay the course fees and allow you the time to complete them, then go for it. It can only make you more employable if you ever leave and show you are willing to grow your job if you stay. Doesn't hurt when it comes to getting a pay rise either, I have pretty much doubled my pay in the last couple of years by making myself very difficult to replace.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Viking72
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 14 10:21

I'm looking into the bifm distant learning courses.... Something to Google for you. They do a level 3

Then and iosh, nebosh.... But I've heard very good thing from the Ncrq, again it's distant learning so will fit in with your workload but these are level 4/5 iirc

Smithy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Sep 2018 14 12:56

Appraisal? What are they?🙂

DAE avatar
gazplum
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 30 08:24

Hi
I do think aquiring the IOSH qualification is a good idea,as well as getting a BIFM qualification. These do help in you in the workplace and are transferable if you want to leave and work in the private sector at a later date. I have the IOSH and level 4 in Facilities Management .

steph
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 30 09:56

I just said I was going to run a campaign to educate the staff on the dangers of not using the proper equipment to work at height

HappyLad
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 30 12:20

So an appraisal is a tool for those who manage you to give official feedback on their opinion of you and the value you bring to the job. It's also a time for you to place on record the direction that you want to go in to help you develop your career, and how it can also help you in your current role. So, the question is, what do you want to become? Where do you see yourself in 3/5/10 years? Answering these questions will indicate the level of training and development you wish to take. Like someone else has said, getting the qualifications and the right position can enhance your wages substantially, but with that comes more responsibility. I moved jobs almost 4 years ago, took this position for a pay hike of close to 10k, and then got another 4k rise because of the added value i brought. I have Nebosh Level 3, which also gives me Tech IOSH affiliation. I got these quals leaving the army on resettlement, so it cost me nothing but time and effort, and was well worth that.
There are mixed feelings about appraisals on this forum, but done properly they bring value and development. If you're lucky enough to have them, then make them work for you.
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 30 15:55

I never had that many in the 8 years in my last school and i do not think it mattered one way or another if they were meet just a way of ticking another job done if any one wanted to see and filed away never to be seen again. [Sleepy.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Dec 2018 19 17:19

I find it's best to pick something you've already done! Keeps it simple and they don't give a monkeys it's a tick box job. Unless of cause your not yet at top of scale, in that case it's you'll have to think of something realistic.
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.