I've quit

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Lucastone1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: I've quit

Oct 2018 11 09:47

Post by Lucastone1 » Thu, 11th Oct 2018, 9:47am

Post by Lucastone1 by Lucastone1 Oct 2018 11 09:47

thecaretaker wrote:
Thu, 11th Oct 2018, 8:23am
As I overheard one teacher say to a visitor in the holidays who asked to see the person in charge that he saw last time, after describing me she said, "Oh no, he's not in charge, he's the lowest of the low".

I also discovered she was right. Delegation is the game, but when the problem finally reached me, there was nobody left to delegate it too. I knew my place [Cry.png]
[JawDropped.png] [JawDropped.png] I would have had that teacher before my old Head, she would have gone nuts.

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 11 11:02

Post by bigbird » Thu, 11th Oct 2018, 11:02am

Post by bigbird by bigbird Oct 2018 11 11:02

thecaretaker wrote:
Thu, 11th Oct 2018, 8:23am
As I overheard one teacher say to a visitor in the holidays who asked to see the person in charge that he saw last time, after describing me she said, "Oh no, he's not in charge, he's the lowest of the low".

I also discovered she was right. Delegation is the game, but when the problem finally reached me, there was nobody left to delegate it too. I knew my place [Cry.png]
Love it thecaretker! Next time they want to ask you a question. Just say "sorry I only get paid from the neck down" I do it all the time and they walk off knowing they have said something in the past and now they are paying for it!
[Wink.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Oct 2018 11 12:34

Post by thecaretaker » Thu, 11th Oct 2018, 12:34pm

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Oct 2018 11 12:34

bigbird wrote:
Thu, 11th Oct 2018, 11:02am

Love it thecaretker! Next time they want to ask you a question. Just say "sorry I only get paid from the neck down" I do it all the time and they walk off knowing they have said something in the past and now they are paying for it!
[Wink.png]
I used to say, "I don't get paid enough to think, that's your job" [Big grin.png]

What was the old saying? Oh, those that can do, do. Those that can't do, teach. And those that can't teach, do PE [Big grin.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Dunnickin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 23 13:48

Post by Dunnickin » Tue, 23rd Oct 2018, 1:48pm

Post by Dunnickin by Dunnickin Oct 2018 23 13:48

I'm in my final week of work,half term holiday will be my 4 weeks notice used up.Cannot wait to get the Hell out of there!

Amazingly there appears to be no plan to recruit a new caretaker to replace me, (my school is 260 pupils, a Primary ,expanding to 420 next year) but instead,they will ask the Caretaker at a local secondary school to open up and lock up ( I can see him being less than thrilled about that)
I am pretty worried cos I am leaving just one cleaner behind,to do the entire school [JawDropped.png] As I said, when I got here in 2015 there was myself and THREE cleaners and now we have one...the poor woman works like crazy but she and I have been unable to do the whole school to a good level,I have been doing another 45 mins of cleaning each day by coming in early (MORE FOOL ME) Why do I flippin' bother.

Is it truly the case,that school budgets are under the most severe strain ever? Can they really not afford any staff? Or is it just Head Teachers and BMs,being uncaring and useless and thinking only of loading more and more and more onto the lower paid staff until they snap?

I am disgusted by what I am seeing [Scared.png]

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 23 15:45

Post by Keyolder » Tue, 23rd Oct 2018, 3:45pm

Post by Keyolder by Keyolder Oct 2018 23 15:45

Dunnickin wrote:
Tue, 23rd Oct 2018, 1:48pm
As Private Frazer continually says "we are all doomed" [Scared.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 23 15:48

Post by Skoolkeeper » Tue, 23rd Oct 2018, 3:48pm

Post by Skoolkeeper by Skoolkeeper Oct 2018 23 15:48

Dunnickin wrote:
Tue, 23rd Oct 2018, 1:48pm
I'm in my final week of work,half term holiday will be my 4 weeks notice used up.Cannot wait to get the Hell out of there!

Amazingly there appears to be no plan to recruit a new caretaker to replace me, (my school is 260 pupils, a Primary ,expanding to 420 next year) but instead,they will ask the Caretaker at a local secondary school to open up and lock up ( I can see him being less than thrilled about that)
I am pretty worried cos I am leaving just one cleaner behind,to do the entire school [JawDropped.png] As I said, when I got here in 2015 there was myself and THREE cleaners and now we have one...the poor woman works like crazy but she and I have been unable to do the whole school to a good level,I have been doing another 45 mins of cleaning each day by coming in early (MORE FOOL ME) Why do I flippin' bother.

Is it truly the case,that school budgets are under the most severe strain ever? Can they really not afford any staff? Or is it just Head Teachers and BMs,being uncaring and useless and thinking only of loading more and more and more onto the lower paid staff until they snap?

Inform your cleaner to work to time, and no favors what so ever, lets hope it all goes chest up, good luck my friend [Success.png]

AnotherName
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 23 16:52

Post by AnotherName » Tue, 23rd Oct 2018, 4:52pm

Post by AnotherName by AnotherName Oct 2018 23 16:52

I think a lot of schools are cutting back on staff from what I hear due to funding issues.....we use to have a Site Supervisor, Caretaker/Technician, Cleaner in Charge, and a team of 5 cleaners for this School of 460 pupils plus a Nursery. Now it's just me having moved into the Site Supervisor role from being the Caretaker/technician and the 5 cleaners.....was told the school could not afford to keep me doing IT Technician duties. We even have SEND staff doing teaching as the school can't afford to keep paying the costs of supply teachers.....it's not looking good with budgets....still tempted to get out myself and get another IT Tech job. Wish you the best of luck for the future though!

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 23 17:33

Post by Drone » Tue, 23rd Oct 2018, 5:33pm

Post by Drone by Drone Oct 2018 23 17:33

Cutbacks are everywhere in schools. The prime responsibility of the Heads & governors is to ensure that there is a teacher in front of every class. With the situation at present, everything else is a luxury.

HappyLad
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 24 07:55

Post by HappyLad » Wed, 24th Oct 2018, 7:55am

Post by HappyLad by HappyLad Oct 2018 24 07:55

My school went through redundancy earlier this year. We lost 10 TA's and 8 MDS, now it's a constant juggle to cover the lunch period in the 6 play areas, and the 2 dinner halls. Very often it's the SMT who are in the dinner hall scraping plates! The poor TA who's job it is to sort the lunch router looks like she's about to keel over with stress! I told my SBM i'm sick of trying to make the brown stuff shine, in truth i have a plan underway and i hope to be moving on sooner rather than later, but the current economics in this role is making it very difficult. Getting contractors involved with quotes that you know will be knocked back 'cus there's no money', so why bother. I'm trying not to let it get me down, but it does, and it's the same across the country.
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oct 2018 24 08:01

Post by JohnE875 » Wed, 24th Oct 2018, 8:01am

Post by JohnE875 by JohnE875 Oct 2018 24 08:01

Sorry to hear of your predicament, go sick is my advice and leave her in the lurch, there will obviously be no love lost. They are not all dragons tho.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum