defibrillator risk assessment

Get hints and tips, discuss about equipment care, tools...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Golfer72
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 11 13:48

defibrillator risk assessment

Hi, does anyone have a risk assessment for a defibrillator that i can have a look at please. I can't find an example for one anywhere??!! [Gobsmacked.png]
[Like.png]

HappyLad
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 11 15:06

Re: defibrillator risk assessment

We have an AED but no RA. They're a fool proof bit of kit, so can't do further harm, thus risk free?? As a trained first aider and AED user there isn't a specific RA for every eventuality. You're trained to deliver first aid once you've assessed the risk of further injury, that's a dynamic risk assessment. I don't think it's necessary for a specific RA, but if others can persuade me then all good, that's what the forum is for [Like.png]
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

NEITTech
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 11 16:21

No RA needed. You literally can't do any harm with an AED.

Golfer72
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 11 16:40

Hi, sorry.....I don't mean for using one but apparently it is now required to have an RA for having one on site. [Confused.png]
[Like.png]

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 11 22:22

We have a list with pictures of all the First Aiders that are trained to use our AED machine in various parts of the school and next to them a map of the school with the location of the AED machine.

The AED is situated centrally within the school in a locked cabinet clearly marked also with the above documents next to it.

Each First Aider knows the location of the machine and key to the cabinet and the machine is checked monthly by me for battery condition and documented.

Not sure who is at risk by having an AED machine on site?
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

onthego
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 12 09:06

Ours is located on the front school plaza so it can be used by first responders. It was paid for by the local community. My part is checking the case and lock for damage / vandalism and the battery status. I record this on my weekly exterior checklist. Before it was fitted the community council had to get permission from my LEA to put it on the building. Never seen or heard about any RA for it.
They got the degree's. You've got the common sense

jholden
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 12 12:07

We have 4 on site, 3 in fixed locations and 1 available to take out on visits. Certainly not heard of having to have specific RA's for them, I have just included a spiel in the first aid section of all our individual school RA's to say we have them and where they are.
“The only thing I know is that I know nothing”

outdoorman
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 17 08:54

No need for a specific risk assessment - However, you could mention it within the First Aid provision Risk Assessment.

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 17 09:38

All that is needed to know is with it and in the training. You have to volunteer to use it and have some training but they actually tell you step by step if you need to use one.
In this day claim for anything at any price I will not put my name to anything medical. No longer happy to do 1st aid, epipen or the defib.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 17 10:37

Not5 sure in schools but our local fire station has one in a coded cabinet on the front wall of the station, the emergancy services will tell you the code and they are very easy to use you just follow the instructions, there is no risk notifications with the equipment or posted next to it and these are now being rolled out all over the country for public use. [Neutral.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"