Glass being put in green recycling bin

The green forum to discuss Energy saving, Recycling...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Glass being put in green recycling bin

Nov 2018 05 11:07

Post by thecaretaker » Mon, 5th Nov 2018, 11:07am

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Nov 2018 05 11:07

At home, we have a black bin for normal waste, a green bin for recycling and a black box for glass.

We have fortnightly collections, 1 week for normal waste and the following week for recycling bin.

For years now, Hastings Borough Council's waste collection firm (Biffa I think it is) send a man down the road prior to the waste lorry who picks up all the glass boxes and puts the contents into the home owners green recycling bins. Then the lorry just tips your green recycling bin in the back. At one time, they used to go down the road and put all the glass they collect from the black boxes and put it into their own bin... and then promptly tip that in the back of the lorry. But they have obviously found it easier now to throw it in your bin first.

So it is clear, the glass is not being recycled. In fact, I have no evidence that the contents of my green recycling bin is actually recycled at all.

There have been numerous letters of complaint in the local rag, but nothing changes.

So, my wife has decided to put the glass in the green recycling bin herself and not bother with the black box. As she says, what's the point if they are going to tip in the green bin anyway. However, this is clearly against 'the rules' and risks getting fined if found out.

Do you have similar issues in your area?
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Glass being put in green recycling bin

Nov 2018 05 11:40

Post by Jubbs » Mon, 5th Nov 2018, 11:40am

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Nov 2018 05 11:40

All glass goes in the green box for recycling metal and plastic.

We have a tall, square canvas bag for paper and cardboard and a wheelie bin for General waste (landfill) and the kerb bin for food recycling.

HappyLad
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 05 11:53

Post by HappyLad » Mon, 5th Nov 2018, 11:53am

Post by HappyLad by HappyLad Nov 2018 05 11:53

I've never had any time to watch what they do, i'm usually at work [Wink.png]
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 05 13:16

Post by EBJ » Mon, 5th Nov 2018, 1:16pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Nov 2018 05 13:16

We have a normal waste wheelie bin, a recycle wheelie bin and a green recycle wheelie bin for grass cuttings etc, all three take up a lot of room and i do not use the grass cutting one as they want £40 a year.

They get the free composting out of it for the local flowers beds etc and they want me to pay for it and i only have one little patch of grass that barely fills a carrier bag of cuttings, we are collected fortnightly on normal waste and recycle which is not too bad but the thing that bugs me that both collection crews just leave the bins any where they want.

Bins are left in the road across the pavement and yours may be left 3 or 4 houses away as they guys do it at a running pace and have no regard to where they leave them, i have seen mum's with push chairs and kids trying to push them out of there way and mobility users and just plain old pedestrians, no pride in their work theses days. [Angry.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 05 13:48

Post by Nigel » Mon, 5th Nov 2018, 1:48pm

Post by Nigel by Nigel Nov 2018 05 13:48

We have wheelie bins for recyclable waste at school and 2 wheelie bins for general, mainly food waste, have had 2 snotty letters about general waste bags getting into recycle, another time and they will charge us for general waste!
So last week one 1 lorry comes out for everything, all chucked in the back and compressed, not separated in the lorry, ask driver about this and he said it is all sorted out the other end! course it is I was born yesterday [Wink.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 06 08:27

Post by JohnE875 » Tue, 6th Nov 2018, 8:27am

Post by JohnE875 by JohnE875 Nov 2018 06 08:27

As I live on site I don't get my own bin. I use the schools waste bins, card, plastic, glass, paper and tins into mixed recycling. Everything else into the general waste.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 06 15:18

Post by EBJ » Tue, 6th Nov 2018, 3:18pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Nov 2018 06 15:18

I posted on this subject a while back where two bordering councils have different recycle laws and yet each council tips it all at the same place and said then "Who left the asylum gate open". [Crazy.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

greenjack
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 08 13:12

Post by greenjack » Thu, 8th Nov 2018, 1:12pm

Post by greenjack by greenjack Nov 2018 08 13:12

I firmly believe there is a policy from on high of bulling the public about recycling. We end up with boxes of cleaned and sorted items the majority of which ( I suspect ) end up as landfill or ash