Appraisal

Discuss Unions, Contracts, T&Cs, Pay, Leave, Appraisals...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

DAE avatar
Tincy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 06 16:03

Appraisal

Hi Guys and girls i hope your all well?

My manager has given me an appraisal form to fill out, i thought the whole idea of having an Appraisal was to sit down with your manager and discuss together what goals and targets he and myself expect?

Anyway, I've been asked to set 3 goals/targets, so far I've come up with:

Initiative - Taking on responsibilities beyond my current job role.
Course - Attend a course using power tools in a safe manner

I'm stumped for a 3rd one, so was wondering if you guys had any suggestions and what do you think to the goals/targets I've set myself already?

Thank you for your time.

wolffman
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 06 16:09

Re: Appraisal

on the first one i wouldn't encourage them to ask you to do extra outside your role. there is already an expectation to go above and beyond the call of duty.

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 06 16:47

Yes, tell them that your heating company is running a course to understand the running of the equipment and emergency produces to fault find. Then tick it off in six months time as completed.
[Sir.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 06 19:54

I found these a waste of time as nothing ever happens as a result and it is just fill in and file away forgotten excise until some one in authority wants to see it and than it's just a case of "That's fine". [Crazy.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

shadow
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 07 09:06

I hate them personally. An exercise for nothing.

Just put 3x courses Plumbing, Electric, Management etc... on it, that you will never be granted as there is no money for it.
Rinse and repeat in six months or a year!... [Sir.png]

As site managers/Caretakers we are limited to what we can put on them.
Site manager for a Greater London High school...
My job tickets never end...

HappyLad
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 07 10:31

Whether they're a waste of time or not absolutely depends on your management. My old school didn't have any official appraisal, but the HT was very hands on and knew what was what, often spoke with me and had his finger on the pulse, i loved the guy. Where i work now they do appraisals, and it got me an upgrade 3 years ago because of the added value i brought to the role which was documented and evidenced. It was at the insistence of my SBM & driven by her. The evaluation cost the school about £600 with the borough HR involved, but for me it was so worth it, both financially, but also in the feeling of value to the school.

I think if the process is done properly it does bring value, but like anything, if it's just paid lip service to then it's worthless. I'm ex army and for a long time i was involved with delivering and receiving appraisals, in an environment that was filled with people striving for promotion. If you do them then set targets, get your manager to set goals for you that you want to achieve, get training and development (if you want it), because in the 'new world' these things are important, and for the younger and still ambitious amongst us out here in CT land who are striving for qualifications, experience and higher pay grades they're an important tool.
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 17:23

The last item on mine was "Did I have any skills or attributes that the school could take advantage of?" I put down I had a passing interest in amateur dentistry, a bit of training and the chance to practice would be helpful! Didn't get a reply or an appraisal, but never mind I'm top of scale!
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 18:53

Performance Management Reviews are supposed to be out continuous professional development. I would therefore ask, at the outset of the review meeting, what the school is offering in terms of advancement for yourself. It is all too easy for appraisals to become "all take & no give" exercises on the part of the school.

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 12 12:08

Drone wrote:
Fri, 11th Jan 2019, 6:53pm
Performance Management Reviews are supposed to be out continuous professional development. I would therefore ask, at the outset of the review meeting, what the school is offering in terms of advancement for yourself. It is all too easy for appraisals to become "all take & no give" exercises on the part of the school.
I like the quote, What the school is offering in terms of advancement for yourself. I use that one under, what has the school got to offer in personal professional development/training and wellbeing, well stated drone, [Like.png]

HarleyPete
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 12 20:00

We had them introduced some years back and since that time I filled in the form on a number of occasions but actually had only two reviews. Personally I believe they are merely a tick box exercise and in our case have no beneficial outcome what so ever. In our school it's sad to say I feel there is a face fits culture and anyone who doesn't tow the line or speaks their mind is looked down upon. Whereas those who "kiss ass" so to speak are given better options. Length of service and site knowledge is not considered. Sadly this has led to a situation of simply turning up, doing your job and leaving again with no worrying about the site or anything else.
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"