pallet breaking

Get hints and tips, discuss about equipment care, tools...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 07 18:11

Re: pallet breaking

Pallet wood is great, high tensile and weather resistant, needs sanding for most applications but I'm an advocate and storing them as they become left after a delivery. Already made a 3 section composter out of 10 pallets side by side, and lined with bulk bags left over from builders visits.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

Chester
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 08 08:08

bigbird wrote:
Wed, Jth Nov 2018, 4:35pm
What do you use that rough and rubbish timber for? [Neutral.png]
Says a man with a big enough budget to buy new timber, unfortunatley using pallets is out of necessity as we cant afford nice new timber for every project also once its planed and sanded its usually like new anyway.

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 08 08:23

Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

londonlad1939
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 08 11:18

Thanks for all the great advice, yeah I want to make some planters with them and also a wooden tee-pee for reception playground, I've just ordered a pallet buster a tool designed just for this job looks great on youtube just hope it does what it says on the tin lol

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 08 14:11

Chester wrote:
Thu, Jth Nov 2018, 8:08am
bigbird wrote:
Wed, Jth Nov 2018, 4:35pm
What do you use that rough and rubbish timber for? [Neutral.png]
Says a man with a big enough budget to buy new timber, unfortunatley using pallets is out of necessity as we cant afford nice new timber for every project also once its planed and sanded its usually like new anyway.
They can afford new timber, but they don't want to spend it on you! Just wait till they want something for the teaching staff or food for some meeting or other - no problem.

You must have loads of time on your hands stripping and preparing the wood, for me I would wait until they reconsidered supplying me with the correct materials and tools to do the job.
[Angel.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

londonlad1939
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 08 14:19

I quite enjoy making new things and setting myself new projects, your right though I don't have loads of time on my hands but I make time because I love my job and love the school I'm in. I hear what your saying give them an inch and there take a mile but I have a good understanding with management and they wouldn't take liberty's with me.

welshhunk
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 08 21:53

Last year I made lots of seasonal trees and other decorations from pallets and recycled wood which were sold at a fair in December. [Wink.png]
I managed to raise £600 for a charity that helped my family when my father went through his last days.
Lots of things to do if we have or can make the time. [Like.png]
wake me up before you gogo.

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 09 08:41

welshhunk wrote:
Thu, Jth Nov 2018, 9:53pm
Last year I made lots of seasonal trees and other decorations from pallets and recycled wood which were sold at a fair in December. [Wink.png]
I managed to raise £600 for a charity that helped my family when my father went through his last days.
Nice one Welshhunk [Like.png]
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

Lucastone1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 09 11:17

welshhunk wrote:
Thu, Jth Nov 2018, 9:53pm
I think that is fantastic you doing that! [Like.png] Sadly due to space restrictions and nobody wants them iv'e just sawed up 3 pallets.

chrismccol
Forum Member
Forum Member
Nov 2018 09 12:58

I'm a caretaker. I solve problems you don't know you have in many ways you can't understand. [JawDropped.png]