Just a couple to be getting on with

Make a Caretaker smile today. Funny jokes, cartoons...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Forum rules
Please read our FORUM RULES AND TERMS & CONDITIONS before posting.

Please keep content suitable for all ages. However, please be aware that some content may still offend.
thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Just a couple to be getting on with

Nov 2018 08 13:54

Post by thecaretaker » Thu, 8th Nov 2018, 1:54pm

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Nov 2018 08 13:54

Kids have it so easy these days. When I was young, I had to battle my way through 10 feet of shagpile carpet to change the channel on the TV nearly every half hour. Don't tell me I need more exercise.

When I was young, I had to visit my local Chemist to get my camera film developed and then visit again a week later to collect the photos. Don't tell me I need more exercise.

I hear the Spice girls are getting back together. Now the are older, I think they should change their name to the 'Old Spice' girls. [Big grin.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Rockstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Just a couple to be getting on with

Nov 2018 09 08:55

Post by Rockstar » Fri, 9th Nov 2018, 8:55am

Post by Rockstar by Rockstar Nov 2018 09 08:55

And when I was younger, I had to walk a mile and a half to school from being 4 years old. Parents round here complain if they cant park on the yellow zig zags to drop their little darlings off!
If I wanted to go in town, I had to ride my Raleigh Nimrod bike 4 miles there and it was 4 miles all up hill on the way back.
I used to earn money by bottling milk at the local farm, cleaning the bottles beforehand. Then helping hay making/harrowing on the tractor (age 13ish) as well as getting up early to deliver the milk before going to school.
Now the kids just stick their hand out and expect parents to taxi them about too! [Shock.png]

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 09 09:31

Post by JohnE875 » Fri, 9th Nov 2018, 9:31am

Post by JohnE875 by JohnE875 Nov 2018 09 09:31

When I was younger I used to do a paper round before and after school everyday getting up at 0600 everyday of the week and worked Saturday during the day at the local butchers. Only earned 25 shillings in total.
I used to go to school on my own from age of 5 with a long walk either side of a bus ride.
Our windows used to freeze on the inside during the cold months.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 09 12:01

Post by Jubbs » Fri, 9th Nov 2018, 12:01pm

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Nov 2018 09 12:01

When I was younger we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea, even a cup o' cold tea, sometimes without milk or sugar or even tea.
If we'd 'ad a cracked cup, we'd be laffin, or have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper. I remember the best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth. But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son"
E' was right y'know, I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
We were lucky to live in a house though, before that we used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling. I used to have to live in t' corridor, that was after I lived in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. I got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over me! of course when I say house it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
Then we were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake then chucked out of there to living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
Cardboard box? I hear you ask...
We were lucky really.
After that we lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt. But that was a luxury....we used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
Well, of course, we had it tough.
I remember when we used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We ate two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife and then I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you !

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 09 16:10

Post by EBJ » Fri, 9th Nov 2018, 4:10pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Nov 2018 09 16:10

We had no electricity only gas which did the lights and cooker, we used to get dressed to go to bed as it was so cold and scrape the ice of the inside of draughty old windows, extra blankets were eiderdowns with sleeves in other words your over coat, the toilet was outside and the bath was tin and hung on a hook on the outside wall between the WC and coal shed.

The outside toilets had a gap under the door that let the wind blow in and also three big holes drilled in the top part of the door for an air vent, toilet paper was normally old newspaper and there was no light in there at night and it was freezing and stunk to hell, our radio was driven via an accumulator we had to change at the local bicycle shop on Saturday morning on our way back collect a bag of coal on the old pram from the local gasworks.

We used to collect old rags to sell and take beer bottles back to the pub for money as well, mum never had such a thing as a washing machine it was something called a copper in the scullery (kitchen) which basically boiled water and you stired it with what looked like a base ball bat and took the clothes out with a giant pair of wooden tongs.

I could go on and on how we had it and what little we had but that was then and this is now, life is a lot better for children these days but i cannot help feeling they have lost the do and make do.
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"