Line management removal

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with our members...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

DAE avatar
Buster990
Forum Member
Forum Member

Line management removal

Nov 2018 20 11:19

Post by Buster990 » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 11:19am

Post by Buster990 by Buster990 Nov 2018 20 11:19

Hi
I’ve just had my line manger role removed form the head and one govner after bringing to attention that the cleaner is using bleach in school, standing on fold up chairs in flip flops and not complying with the higene colour coded law for cleaning with cloths and mops plus many other issues
I approached the cleaner before this and told her to adear to the law and if not then I would see her put forward on a displinery and she went to the head treated to leave and they took her side and removed the line management role !!
Where do stand if I’ve got no backing within the school and what should I do

Lucastone1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Line management removal

Nov 2018 20 11:53

Post by Lucastone1 » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 11:53am

Post by Lucastone1 by Lucastone1 Nov 2018 20 11:53

Okay let them line manage her and sit back and relax. See how long it lasts and wait for it to hit the fan. Don't forget if she asks anything, politely point her in the Heads/Governors direction and smile. [Big grin.png] [Big grin.png]

Nail
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 12:07

Post by Nail » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 12:07pm

Post by Nail by Nail Nov 2018 20 12:07

Official complain to the Chair of Governors.

Report to the EHO.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 12:11

Post by EBJ » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 12:11pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Nov 2018 20 12:11

That is not what you expect the powers in a school to do as this is a serious breach of H&S on a number of accounts and they have a "Duty of Care", they have now given the cleaner the go ahead to commit suicide an possibly take innocent people along with her.

It would appear your powers to be have no backbone to uphold what are the very basics in keeping a school clean and safe for everyone, so you have now lost control over the cleaner and the responsibility is now the schools management problem,fair enough put it all in writing and submit it to them as a written record that you have raised the issue in the schools interest and have been tried and found guilty of doing your job to the best of your ability and that of the schools and as a result you are no longer in a line managerial role.

Sit back and let all parties hang themselves when it does go wrong and just be polite to all parties concerned and if i were you and this is just my opinion if the school cannot back you on safety issues and just remove you from responsibilities then i would start to look for a school that welcomes caretakers who take H&S seriously. [Wink.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 12:29

Post by Jubbs » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 12:29pm

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Nov 2018 20 12:29

Stunned really, amazed they took the cleaners side when she was defiantly flaunting H&S rules and regulations. What were they threatened with to secure leave after the cleaner's complaint to the head/govs ?

Ho hum, at least they have taken a fair body of responsibility off your shoulders but who had to cover her when she went on leave ? I hope not you, that would be a paper cut and having lemon juice poured on it !

Gazza
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 14:15

Post by Gazza » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 2:15pm

Post by Gazza by Gazza Nov 2018 20 14:15

I think the biggest problem with schools today is head teachers who now are expected to be managers but are in now way suited to or qualified for the role, and this highlights this point exactly imo.

lets face it, head teachers are basically teachers who have paid their dues, they have risen through the ranks of teaching to get their stripes. there are no managers among them, none of them have had experience of managing in other industries, they haven't been trained to be affective man managers, or deal effectively with difficult questions and/or situations.

so you have a situation like this where your so called manager has either A- buried their heads in the sand for a quiet life, or B- doesn't fully comprehend the consequences of their actions or their staff (the cleaner in this case). as some have mentioned simply be polite, document it all, have it written in email somewhere of the proposed solution moving forward and if you are genuinely worried that the cleaners actions are an imminent threat to her and others safety then you need to go higher to your govs.
"Oh, shut up. Every day, yakkety yak, on and on and on! Day in, day out - slime in this ear, slime in that ear! Just stop talking!"

-Eddie Hitler

D.I.Burnside
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 15:43

Post by D.I.Burnside » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 3:43pm

Post by D.I.Burnside by D.I.Burnside Nov 2018 20 15:43

Put it in writing to cover yourself and let them take the fall.
Give Blood, you know you want to..

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 16:06

Post by bigbird » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 4:06pm

Post by bigbird by bigbird Nov 2018 20 16:06

Gazza wrote:
Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 2:15pm
I think the biggest problem with schools today is head teachers who now are expected to be managers but are in now way suited to or qualified for the role, and this highlights this point exactly imo.

lets face it, head teachers are basically teachers who have paid their dues, they have risen through the ranks of teaching to get their stripes. there are no managers among them, none of them have had experience of managing in other industries, they haven't been trained to be affective man managers, or deal effectively with difficult questions and/or situations.

so you have a situation like this where your so called manager has either A- buried their heads in the sand for a quiet life, or B- doesn't fully comprehend the consequences of their actions or their staff (the cleaner in this case). as some have mentioned simply be polite, document it all, have it written in email somewhere of the proposed solution moving forward and if you are genuinely worried that the cleaners actions are an imminent threat to her and others safety then you need to go higher to your govs.
Well written Gazza, but don't go over HT's head like "some" on this web. They won't thank you for it, nor will the Head.

The Head is responsible for all or any actions, just let them get on with it. But try to keep a copy.
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

eggy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 17:07

Post by eggy » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 5:07pm

Post by eggy by eggy Nov 2018 20 17:07

Here we have a dress code so that would have covered the flip flops.
Done working at heights that would have covered the chair.
Our cleaners have done the same training as our contract cleaners so that would have covered that .
Only part that they may put you at fault is that you would put her forward for a disciplinary. That they may argue that isn't within your role.
It's the old comment of 'know your place' .
As has been said let them deal with things & get it in writing by email.
Good luck .
Take my drum to England, hang it by the shore,And strike it when your powder's running low;If the Dons sight Devon, I'll quit the port of heaven,& drum them up the channel as we drummed them long ago

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 20 17:19

Post by Jubbs » Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 5:19pm

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Nov 2018 20 17:19

eggy wrote:
Tue, 20th Nov 2018, 5:07pm
Only part that they may put you at fault is that you would put her forward for a disciplinary. That they may argue that isn't within your role.
I agree eggy, surely though, being a line manager entitles you to ask for a disciplinary meeting if that person has ignored your demands to recognise the H&S issues they are dismissing, esp if it puts the staff and more importantly the children at risk of harm. Of course there are procedures and protocols before any meeting like that can happen and it wont be down to the line manager to organise that but the threat of possible disciplinary action can be issued as part of a line manager's effort to keep the school safe.

Its a grey area but one in which I can't see why they took the measures they did, he was just trying to do his job in a position of responsibility and manager of H&S in his dept.