new caretaker check list

Get hints and tips, discuss about equipment care, tools...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

motorr
Forum Member
Forum Member

new caretaker check list

Nov 2018 29 11:21

Post by motorr » Thu, 29th Nov 2018, 11:21am

Post by motorr by motorr Nov 2018 29 11:21

Hi I have just been offered a new post at a primary school. I am currently a site manager at a primary school but been going to a school closer to home.
Does any one have are or used a check list for taking over a new school. eg water/gas stop cocks location fused box location etc.
many thanks

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: new caretaker check list

Nov 2018 29 12:05

Post by Skoolkeeper » Thu, 29th Nov 2018, 12:05pm

Post by Skoolkeeper by Skoolkeeper Nov 2018 29 12:05

Well done to you and good luck, looks like your first job will be finding these and doing a list, take your time it will all come together in the end, I mean I still learn something each day? [Neutral.png]

Nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 29 13:22

Post by Nigel » Thu, 29th Nov 2018, 1:22pm

Post by Nigel by Nigel Nov 2018 29 13:22

First thing I did when I started here 14 years ago is find out where main water stop --- censored word --- is, where is mains electric board/switches.
Individual fuse boards are more of a problem, school 60 years old with additions and they are everywhere!
When I had sussed everything I printed out info/contacts etc and we have a copy in reception if I am off site.

Really helpful if you can speak to previous caretaker and sometimes staff if they have worked at the school for years? also try plumbers/electricians who do, have done, work for the school [Like.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 29 18:51

Post by EBJ » Thu, 29th Nov 2018, 6:51pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Nov 2018 29 18:51

I had to find all these things myself as no hand over, just given a bunch of keys and had to get on with it and gathered the info over a period of time, i never found the main water stop valve to the pool until about 5 years later they were converting a sensory room with an attached small kitchenette that was being used as a store room and when we moved a row of metal storage cabinets i found the missing stop valve.

Same with the schools main heating stat i and other contractors could never find it any where although we all knew there must be one, years later i had to decorate the staff room and found it in there behind some old box folders on shelving, why it was in there and not the main hall which is the biggest area in the school we had no idea. [Confused.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nov 2018 30 14:16

Post by Nigel » Fri, 30th Nov 2018, 2:16pm

Post by Nigel by Nigel Nov 2018 30 14:16

Best one was me and heating engineer trying to find a heating stat that should be somewhere in the front corridor? was here for years and didn`t know where it was, woke up at 2am one morning (as you do!) and thought I bet it`s behind that cupboard near heads office, upon getting in to work I looked and yes it was [JawDropped.png] cupboard re-located [Like.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch

Davee030613
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 05 13:05

Post by Davee030613 » Wed, 5th Dec 2018, 1:05pm

Post by Davee030613 by Davee030613 Dec 2018 05 13:05

When i started in jan this yr at my new school i had a checklist that wasn’t worth the paper it was written on, i have had to find most things out myself, the site manager before me obviously left on bad terms as he threw away most of the certificates i needed eg gas cert elec cert and so on, on the infant side of the school i have always had to walk in the dark half way down the corridor to turn the lights on until recently i found the switch that had a small pin board cut round it with a paper-mâché zebra stuck to it i just laughed to myself. Good luck at your new school pal

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 05 13:53

Post by EBJ » Wed, 5th Dec 2018, 1:53pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Dec 2018 05 13:53

Oh yes and we had a swimming pool and the last caretaker just wrote on a A4 sheet of paper how to maintain it, well i had no idea what so ever on swimming pools except how to swim in them. One part he described how to check the chlorean level and it read "Add one chlorean tablet to the pool water" so i threw one in and it dissolved as i watched it sink down and thought well what does that do, no ention it had to go into the comparetor.

And so it went on but after my car breaking down on my way to a swimming pool maintenance training day and checking on the web and contacting our local pool company who came out and trained me i finally got to grips with it, evry thing i needed to know about swimming pools i read about and checked on the web and lucky for me our school secretary's husband was a swimming pool manager and he would pop in on his way home and help me out. [xmas_wink.gif]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 05 16:00

Post by Keyolder » Wed, 5th Dec 2018, 4:00pm

Post by Keyolder by Keyolder Dec 2018 05 16:00

I’ve worked in this school for 33 years next February and only found out recently there was a drain in our boiler room for draining down the system. In all that time they’ve had to run a 30-metre hose out to the closest outside gulley when draining the boilers down. Only discovered it when new boilers were installed in the summer and they ripped up the very old lino flooring covering the drain…

I like most when I started was just given a bunch of keys and told to get on with it, in a week I’d worked out what most of the keys did and found a few rooms I never knew were there. The first night locking up was a fun experience I remember???

You have experience, so you will soon get to grips with it [xmas_cheesy.gif]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 06 08:58

Post by JohnE875 » Thu, 6th Dec 2018, 8:58am

Post by JohnE875 by JohnE875 Dec 2018 06 08:58

Huge bunch of keys thrust at me and a welcome. Took nearly 2 years to find that over 50% of the keys on the bunch were for locks we no longer had. I spent time during holiday periods early on in the ducts and crawl spaces finding the valves and switches and by a process of elimination am now full up to speed with the site. 20 years on am still learning about the place but will soon be time to leave. I really do hope they appoint my replacement and at least give us a week so I can do a real handover with him.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum