Swimming pools

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Eagleman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Swimming pools

Dec 2018 06 16:19

Post by Eagleman » Thu, 6th Dec 2018, 4:19pm

Post by Eagleman by Eagleman Dec 2018 06 16:19

Afternoon everyone, quick question, are any caretakers/site managers out there, looking after school swimming pools
without any pool training or certification? only reason i ask, ive been asked by a neighbouring school to look after their
pool during a holiday period, but im reluctant to put my name to anything, without the relevant training.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Swimming pools

Dec 2018 06 18:39

Post by EBJ » Thu, 6th Dec 2018, 6:39pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Dec 2018 06 18:39

Eagleman wrote:
Thu, 6th Dec 2018, 4:19pm
Afternoon everyone, quick question, are any caretakers/site managers out there, looking after school swimming pools
without any pool training or certification? only reason i ask, ive been asked by a neighbouring school to look after their
pool during a holiday period, but im reluctant to put my name to anything, without the relevant training.
I am now retired and did look after our school pool and i had a one day training by some Muppet and no certificate and i learnt by trial and error and reading up and the internet, i was also lucky our secretary was married to a pool installation manager who would pop in on his way home from work if i needed him and show me what to do.

I got to now how my pool was by looks and my comparison test kit and knew the quick fixes and the one's that needed me to come in on a Saturday or stay late to do in a long drawn out exercise, i also had to learn all the pool room plant and what did what and how you back wash and filter etc and again when things did go wrong and we had the pool company in i supplied them with tea and biscuits and they spent time learning me.

The school swimming pool is a big responsibility and i do not think my boss knew just how much hard work it was for me on top of everything else i had to do. [xmas_sad.gif]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

halarider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 06 19:40

Post by halarider » Thu, 6th Dec 2018, 7:40pm

Post by halarider by halarider Dec 2018 06 19:40

Eagleman wrote:
Thu, 6th Dec 2018, 4:19pm
Im the same as EBJ. I had an hour induction with the pool maintenance company, when i first started the job. I've had some training since then, when we upgraded our dosing equipment, on it. We've had several H&S visits since then at the school, and they didnt seem too bothered that i dont have a certificate. Just keep proper logs of your pool water readings and the usual backwash/hoover/water quality etc.

Eagleman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 07 07:44

Post by Eagleman » Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 7:44am

Post by Eagleman by Eagleman Dec 2018 07 07:44

Thanks for the advice, pools do seem alot of grief, i will turn my hand to anything, but seeing as ive only had 1 weeks holiday
since last easter, i will give it a miss. Dont think her indoors will be keen on me doing all the pool checks over xmas!
Plus it seems with some of these schools, once you help out, it becomes expected!

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Dec 2018 07 07:50

Post by thecaretaker » Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 7:50am

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Dec 2018 07 07:50

One of our site support companies does a 1 or 2 day pool course. Might be worth a look at...

http://studiesinwork.co.uk/institute-of ... eers-ispe/

There is also a guide...
Teaser-guide.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Eagleman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 07 08:17

Post by Eagleman » Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 8:17am

Post by Eagleman by Eagleman Dec 2018 07 08:17

Many thanks for that, as the school is potless, theres no way they would pay for me to go on a course!
they are just trying to rope someone in to cover the xmas period, they dont care if they know about pools or not,
as long as they dont have to pay anyone, maybe half hour overtime at most. But without any training, im certainly
not prepared to put my name to it. They would be the first to complain if there was a problem with something
i had or hadnt done. Im trained in most aspects of day to running of the school i.e Legionella, asbestos, IOSH, etc, etc.
so i would never expect another caretaker/sitemanager to do something if they dont have the relevant training.
Might be me being over cautious, but in this day and age, i wouldnt be comfortable messing around with pool plant
not being 100 percent.

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 07 10:08

Post by Skoolkeeper » Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 10:08am

Post by Skoolkeeper by Skoolkeeper Dec 2018 07 10:08

You be careful! you dose it up wrong and you will know it, I take it, it is a internal pool as they are worse than a external pool = no where for the potential chlorine gas to escape quickly, you need training and that's it, even if its self dosing, you have to load it, also if you are just asked to dose it, you must wear ppe, get chlorine in your eyes and you will suffer, I done a 5 day course with Cambridgeshire County Council a few years ago and after that for every year I had to do a exam, them after 3 years back to a refresher 1 day course. and remember a favour today is your duty tomorrow, [xmas_angry.gif]

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 07 10:40

Post by EBJ » Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 10:40am

Post by EBJ by EBJ Dec 2018 07 10:40

You must keep a daily log on the pool and what chemicals and how much you administered, any problems associated with the pool like children wee and poo and that it was closed for 24 hours for disinfecting and re filtering, break downs in pool plant and every other problem that went wrong either in the pool or out of it.

Our local council used to come once a year and take a sample away for testing and you got the results back by way of a non pass and why or a certificate that the pool water was correct at the time of testing in the laboratory.

Proper supervision, proper signage, first aid kit,safety safe and clean dressing rooms and showers and toilet facilities room temperatures and ventilation all fall on the caretakers shoulder as the 100 and more little things too numerous to mention, not a job to do for another school in just helping out. [xmas_wink.gif]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Nail
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 07 11:09

Post by Nail » Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 11:09am

Post by Nail by Nail Dec 2018 07 11:09

EBJ wrote:
Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 10:40am
You must keep a daily log on the pool and what chemicals and how much you administered, any problems associated with the pool like children wee and poo and that it was closed for 24 hours for disinfecting and re filtering, break downs in pool plant and every other problem that went wrong either in the pool or out of it.

Our local council used to come once a year and take a sample away for testing and you got the results back by way of a non pass and why or a certificate that the pool water was correct at the time of testing in the laboratory.

Proper supervision, proper signage, first aid kit,safety safe and clean dressing rooms and showers and toilet facilities room temperatures and ventilation all fall on the caretakers shoulder as the 100 and more little things too numerous to mention, not a job to do for another school in just helping out. [xmas_wink.gif]
Once a year for water testing? It's monthly now!

Willie
Forum Member
Forum Member

Dec 2018 07 12:01

Post by Willie » Fri, 7th Dec 2018, 12:01pm

Post by Willie by Willie Dec 2018 07 12:01

In the nicest way possible, You cant, you shouldn't and if sensible you wont.

To oversee a pool you need to be a registered pool plant operator which is a 3 day course if i remember correctly.

Dependent on the system If you get the the dosing wrong you could give people/ children serous burns and blistering and in an extreme case worse. You also have all the correct ingredients to make mustard gas which would close your school and surrounding area down and has the potential to kill.

If there is an auto dosing system you need to know how to manage the pool if it goes wrong. You need to understand acidity and alkaline PH levels including how to work out calcium hardness, total dissoluble soiled and have the chlorine level spot on.

Its not work your job or freedom if it when wrong.
"You never know when Fate will slip the horseshoe into the boxing glove"
“Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part”
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.