Dare I say the word... Brexit

A board to discuss interests away from the workplace...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Dec 2018 14 23:00

Re: Dare I say the word... Brexit

I couldn't resist...

Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Dec 2018 15 10:03

Like it. Not sure that the PM has got her dancing shoes on at the moment though. More like concrete boots.

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
Dec 2018 16 14:45

Yup, I agree and exist the expression, but Brexit is a really messed up. We might as well have the Muppets negotiating, cos none of these clowns haven't got a clue
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and respected Site Manager, Husband, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you Murial? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog - https://tinyurl.com/swsmith

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 15 12:52

So the merry go round is spinning ever faster and the powers that be are dizzy to say the least.

I can't remember when this country's politicians had such an important job to do and have not risen to the occasion. A combination of steadfast ignorance, conscious denial and downright obstructive politicking have rendered the last few months a universal and international disgrace and embarrassment for this country.

I am at the point where I can not see the point of voting in any general election because where there was secret hope that some truth was being spouted out now I don't trust a single word that is uttered.

I am strangely drawn to MP's like Jacob Rhees Mogg who somehow manages to maintain dignity and fluent answering of questions without skirting around or ignoring the question completely. However much one hates Nigel Farage he has been the only British voice in Europe and one who stands up against the complicit nature of EU politics and their politicians. Two people that I didnt really like when I first heard them speaking but now they form a very small partnership of MP's who have any credibility in the things that they say.

Which makes the British political scene such a disgrace. There have been many liars in the past, the most recent Teresa May and her predecessor Cameron and before that Blair and Brown, but have we really sunk so low that an MP's popularity and standing are far more important than their integrity or honesty ? and that is now the norm and an acceptable attitude to have ?

I knew Brexit would hurt as much as help this great country but what has happened recently is an abysmal slide into hypocrisy and treachery where an MP's values are wholly individual and selfish who hide behind hyperbole and deceit.

I despair, I really do. This country is about to be flushed down the EU toilet and it seems British politics is plunging away without remorse.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 15 17:22

My main concern is if we do leave, will my continental quilt still work?
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 16 07:11

Jubbs wrote:
Fri, 15th Mar 2019, 12:52pm
So the merry go round is spinning ever faster and the powers that be are dizzy to say the least.
Jubbs, that is a well thought out rational summing up of the whole Brexit situation (all of it not just the one line above) and I agree with every single word... [Like.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 07:56

Keyolder wrote:
Sat, 16th Mar 2019, 7:11am
Jubbs wrote:
Fri, 15th Mar 2019, 12:52pm
Jubbs, that is a well thought out rational summing up of the whole Brexit situation (all of it not just the one line above) and I agree with every single word... [Like.png]
I can't shake the feeling that there is a conspiracy afoot. That Teresa May should come back from Brussels to Chequers with a plan that made half her cabinet resign because they didnt recognise it, shows some kind of collaboration between her and the EC in determining what was best for Europe and not Great Britain. That the EC then said no more negotiations when there was apparently none for nearly two years, no kind of compromise from them but total concession from us. It feels like a sell out and almost like surrendering to an enemy when all they have done is rattle a sword at us.

If we could all find some common ground, leavers and remainers alike, stop the hate or at least stop perpetuating it then maybe we could get something out of the mess we are in. That Parliament is still forging ahead in dogged determination to score political points against each other using Brexit and this country as a score board is shameful and I'd like to see the lot of them sacked and have their heads displayed on Traitors Row. (metaphorically speaking)
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

Gazza
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 09:04

if history has taught us anything about crashes, change of politics, recessions it is this- Nothing lasts forever, affects are felt for a while but an equilibrium emerges and that there will always be winners and losers.

I've experienced recessions and inflation before I'm sure ill experience it again.

if we lose access to Spanish fishing waters, Italian grapes, German cars, French wine, Belgian chocolate, Swiss cheese then there will be markets for British manufacturers to move into.

it seems that the people most scared of leaving the EU are those with most to loose in the short term. people with money invested in EU businesses, politicians with fingers in a lot of European pies.

the average working man is fully accustomed to tough times, and you cannot scare a poor man with the threat of being poorer.

The only issues I have a concern with, in regards to leaving the EU is how leaving will affect the border with the Republic of Ireland- no one wants to see a return of the troubles, but there must be some way out of this without being tied to the EU, and lastly I wonder whether we should be looking to fix the EU rather than walking away from it? you cannot fix something if you are not part of it.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]

greenjack
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 11:03

This fiasco has been caused by self serving politicians who would rather go against the will of the majority and let democracy go to the wall. I knew people who had never voted before but who came out to vote leave. What does this say to them? I believe if they do not follow Brexit through they will be sowing the seeds of discontent and unrest with greater ramifications than leaving without a deal (or 'crashing out' as they dramatically put it). As mentioned by others the ones with most to lose are those at the top. Leaving is likely to have little real long term impact on the majority of the working class. I for one will never vote for any of these clowns ever again.

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 11:26

Gazza wrote:
Mon, 18th Mar 2019, 9:04am
The average working man is fully accustomed to tough times, and you cannot scare a poor man with the threat of being poorer.

The only issues I have a concern with, in regards to leaving the EU is how leaving will affect the border with the Republic of Ireland- no one wants to see a return of the troubles, but there must be some way out of this without being tied to the EU, and lastly I wonder whether we should be looking to fix the EU rather than walking away from it? you cannot fix something if you are not part of it.
Quite, and trying to sway the EU into changing some of its ways has been on Nigel Farage's menu for some years, but to make a case in hand, on Youtube there is a video, among many, that show him castigating the EU and there is an MEP behind him with a piece of paper stating "This Man is Telling Lies". It was for the camera only, just a sheet of A4 but he has tried and failed to bring any kind of thought process to how the EU is run and why it needs change, they are on their own agenda and will ride rough shod over anything that stands in their way.