pay related to responsibilities

Discuss Unions, Contracts, T&Cs, Pay, Leave, Appraisals...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

joethelion
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 09 13:32

Re: pay related to responsibilities

it's a Scooby Doo thing being a Caretaker..at the end of 'the mystery' they whip off the suspects mask..and hey "it's old Mr Soames the Skool Caretaker"..much the same.."Hey who's been doing all these extra tasks, staying late,doing the extra mile,making double sure it's correct..???hey "it's old Mr Soames the skool Caretaker"..'.yabbadabba doo'..innit.

Smithy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 09 22:57

When I first started at my place I was told....Beware, the more you do, the more you will be taken for granted, the more you are taken for granted, the more they will expect and the less recognition you will get......which is why as from Friday my stress levels will take a nose dive as I walk out the door and leave my keys on someones desk..

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 10 09:44

Smithy wrote:
Sat, 9th Feb 2019, 10:57pm
When I first started at my place I was told....Beware, the more you do, the more you will be taken for granted, the more you are taken for granted, the more they will expect and the less recognition you will get......which is why as from Friday my stress levels will take a nose dive as I walk out the door and leave my keys on someones desk..
Its that old saying, a favour today is your duty tomorrow, good luck to you my friend, I would have liked to be a fly on the wall on Friday.

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 08:28

I tackled this type of problem for years as a shop steward, this trick is to find out how their system works and use that.
Two things to watch out for are:
1, If you are doing the jobs above and beyond your job description because you thought you should and not because you were asked to by your line manager, that's called volunteering. Your manager could legitimately ask you how you had time to do all this extra work you were never asked to do?
2, If the person asking you to do extra isn't actually your line manager, why are you taking instructions from then in the first place?

Only playing devils advocate here! Performance review and job evaluation is the way to go. I would be asking for a job description that reflects the tasks the school would like you to do and then ask for the new JD to be evaluated. Another thing to consider is when they try to delay a decision you should ask that anything agreed at this later date would be back dated so it's not just a way to save money.
good luck
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 09:35

seanallen wrote:
Mon, 11th Feb 2019, 8:28am
I tackled this type of problem for years as a shop steward, this trick is to find out how their system works and use that.
Two things to watch out for are:
1, If you are doing the jobs above and beyond your job description because you thought you should and not because you were asked to by your line manager, that's called volunteering. Your manager could legitimately ask you how you had time to do all this extra work you were never asked to do?
2, If the person asking you to do extra isn't actually your line manager, why are you taking instructions from then in the first place?

Only playing devils advocate here! Performance review and job evaluation is the way to go. I would be asking for a job description that reflects the tasks the school would like you to do and then ask for the new JD to be evaluated. Another thing to consider is when they try to delay a decision you should ask that anything agreed at this later date would be back dated so it's not just a way to save money.
good luck
I used to cover everything and feel I done a good job, the old h.t was spot on always paying o/t but never upgrading any j.d, When having a performance review I informed the NEW H.T that I would like the job evaluated, the next meeting we had, I was told it was all historical and no additional payment would be forthcoming! so I worked to rule and over a period of time the extra l works I carried out above and beyond my original j.d were taken away and done by C.Os, Office staff and T.As including the new h.t, well although I got nothing in the end, there is one thing I did get was a lot more free personal time = coming and going on time, very little o/t = great, even with the union the new h.t got what the school wanted = a lowly paid caretaker, but to be fair the union were excellent and backed me in every way they could, making the whole procedure really annoying to the top bods at the school, I have got to say this little person is hated now and biding my time to get out.

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 11:28

Skoolkeeper wrote:
Mon, 11th Feb 2019, 9:35am
I have got to say this little person is hated now and biding my time to get out.
It is sad how rumour and gossip amongst the teaching staff can become sour and vindictive towards the support members esp the CT. It seems to spread from classroom to classroom like a fungal infection. Recently there has been a number of staff members that are blanking me out and just being downright rude and unresponsive. I've taken the liberty to mirror that and not make any effort to be congenial to them. Other staff are OK and I wait to see how far this goes but I can not for the life of me understand the reason why this sudden attitude, but no skin off my nose and I'm not going to lose sleep over it, as you say skoolkeeper, its better to keep your head down and treat it like water off a ducks back.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

Adoniss
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 17:21

surely you should kinow what your job / grade consists of. you could always ask your HR or union for generic job descriptions and then see what your doing over and above even if youve been doing it for ever. Request, as others have said a review, either through your head or union. and if succesfull you are entitled to claim back up to 6 years but dont hold your breath on that legality lol

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 17:38

Have you ever seen a JD, the last line always goes something like this:

Carrying out any other duties appropriate to the grading level as required by the headteacher or in other words "What ever your HT tells you to do" Now this is when you must to find out the loop holes and Health & Safety reasons why you can't do it or it's your job until they come up with something else that is just as bad as before!
[Cry.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 18:45

bigbird wrote:
Mon, 11th Feb 2019, 5:38pm

Carrying out any other duties appropriate to the grading level as required by the headteacher or in other words "What ever your HT tells you to do" Now this is when you must to find out the loop holes and Health & Safety reasons why you can't do it or it's your job until they come up with something else that is just as bad as before!
[Cry.png]
Hi Bigbird, long time no see, as for the carrying out of other duties, I have had that put under additional duties, that means o/t to which they won't pay, so that suits me fine, get some other mug to do it then. Keep posting Bigbird and nice to hear from you. Luv ya geezer [Like.png]

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 20:36

Skoolkeeper wrote:
Mon, 11th Feb 2019, 6:45pm
bigbird wrote:
Mon, 11th Feb 2019, 5:38pm

[Cry.png]
Hi Bigbird, long time no see, as for the carrying out of other duties, I have had that put under additional duties, that means o/t to which they won't pay, so that suits me fine, get some other mug to do it then. Keep posting Bigbird and nice to hear from you. Luv ya geezer [Like.png]
Hi Skoolkeeper, you must be missing by info. I was on here last week several times, but I'm glad someone is missing me! [Like.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!