interview presentation

Get hints and tips, discuss about equipment care, tools...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

jcc90
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 08:21

interview presentation

HI Guys And GIrls,

I have a job interview on Monday and have been asked to prepare a presentation on how to improve site cleanliness if it was to drop, now if i was asked as a question I would be fine but because its got to be presented I am a little nervous.

I have said i would start by having a word with all staff,
then delegate caretakers to each set of cleaners and 1 to the grounds to monitor the standards,
then if still not improved do some training/demonstrations.

now I'm stuck what else would you or could you do ??
please help ???

TIA

Jay

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 09:37

Re: interview presentation

Similar to one of my questions but mine was 20 years ago.
I said I would work every cleaning unit over the first few weeks to actually find out if there were any problems to do with the particular area's and timings I could be expecting the cleaner could actually be doing the area in.
Standards the equipment and cleaning cupboards are being kept in. cannot keep the school clean with dirty equipment.
What chemical/equipment is being used and are there better and cheaper that can be used as cleaning science has changed such a lot over the last few years. Is the colour coding system working as it should.
Attitude of the staff is important as well, get them all on your side soonest.
Regular audit walks with the on-site supervisor.
Introduce a check sheet system to ensure long term cleanliness and upkeep of standards.
Set up meeting with contractor if private company to introduce yourself and standards you expect.
Outside, daily litter pick rota introduced (include yourself) that way you get to notice the specific areas there may be problems.
If there are outside hedges/flower beds ensure these are kept tidy and litter free.

Good luck with the interview and I hope this may help a little.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Jan 2019 11 09:51

I would agree. You can't make improvements until you ascertain what the problems are. Explain that you will look at all areas for issues with the quality of cleaning, things like cross contamination and bad working practices. Then give some examples of how you would improve them e.g. introducing colour coding, offering training.

I'm sure you will do swimmingly. [Neutral.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

jcc90
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 09:56

Thank you, its so much harder to write it down than just explain it, plus I'm no good at presentations haha

steph
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 10:00

You could also say how you might look to improve moral with the workforce which would improve their productivity

nickgardens
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 11:00

JohnE875 wrote:
Fri, 11th Jan 2019, 9:37am
Similar to one of my questions but mine was 20 years ago.
I said I would work every cleaning unit over the first few weeks to actually find out if there were any problems to do with the particular area's and timings I could be expecting the cleaner could actually be doing the area in.
Standards the equipment and cleaning cupboards are being kept in. cannot keep the school clean with dirty equipment.
What chemical/equipment is being used and are there better and cheaper that can be used as cleaning science has changed such a lot over the last few years. Is the colour coding system working as it should.
Attitude of the staff is important as well, get them all on your side soonest.
Regular audit walks with the on-site supervisor.
Introduce a check sheet system to ensure long term cleanliness and upkeep of standards.
Set up meeting with contractor if private company to introduce yourself and standards you expect.
Outside, daily litter pick rota introduced (include yourself) that way you get to notice the specific areas there may be problems.
If there are outside hedges/flower beds ensure these are kept tidy and litter free.

Good luck with the interview and I hope this may help a little.

couldn't be it better my self mate.

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 11:48

Setting out a work pattern, the teaching and non-teaching staff first ask the cleaner about a concern with-in their area. Normally the cleaner will then correct the problem with little fuss. After day or so and if the person is still not happen, they than email me about the problem and then I deal with it.

This way instead of having only one set of eyes (you) monitoring the school, I have 172 pairs of eyes doing it.

Don't go to management saying their are not doing this or that, management couldn't careless. They just want it corrected in the fastest time possible and you will make yourself look useless for not correcting the problem yourself!
[Angel.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 13:56

I don't know what job/position you are applying for, but it sounds very managerial, Have a word with staff and then delegate caretakers to each set of cleaners! and 1 to monitor grounds, how many sets of cleaners and caretakers are there? This sounds very managerial what's the saying PASS THE BUCK!
anyway good luck with the interview and don't pretend your are something you are not, as they say. [Wink.png]

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 15:03

You have to start with basics and that is the equipment you use where and how it is stored, are the products you are using correct and fit for purpose and storage, then a hands on working along side the cleaners to better understand any issues they may have or are causing,

Allow a period time frame to gather all the information together so you can best work out what actions need addressing and in what order of priority, explain safety will be paramount and cleaning efficancey next and that some cleaners may be offended by your findings and complain but you will be as fair as possible in your judgements of their work rate and standards and how to improve.

Not an easy task on your part to stand there and and explain all of what you will do but i am sur they would not mind you refering to breif notes you have made now and then just to keep the flow going, good luck to you and wish you well after all they cannot shoot you or hang you theses days. [Wink.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

jcc90
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 15:35

Skoolkeeper wrote:
Fri, 11th Jan 2019, 1:56pm
I don't know what job/position you are applying for, but it sounds very managerial, Have a word with staff and then delegate caretakers to each set of cleaners! and 1 to monitor grounds, how many sets of cleaners and caretakers are there? This sounds very managerial what's the saying PASS THE BUCK!
anyway good luck with the interview and don't pretend your are something you are not, as they say. [Wink.png]
The position is for a Site Manager of a secondary school, will be in charge of 11 cleaners- 5 morning 5 evening and one who work through out the day and 3 caretakers.

I wont try and be someone I'm not it all ways back fires. I'm Quite confident some times you just need the push to get the head start [Like.png]