Happy Chicks

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

DAE avatar
onlyme14
Jan 2019 11 15:29

Re: Happy Chicks

Thank you all for responses
It does sound like a good project for the children but there are the down sides of if any die and where they go after [Neutral.png]

twiglets
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker
Jan 2019 11 15:54

we have them annually, or should I say "they". the school has it's own kit- incubator, heat lamp, feeders etc. We have also set up a webcam in the past to record the hatching. We have also had a funeral with all the trimmings!! they have to learn this. We also have parents/staff take them home- finally, they usually get rehomed. Ducklings are also interesting. [Like.png]

scrubadub
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker
Jan 2019 11 16:53

We have chickens on site. Did have chickens and ducks but let the ducks go as the mess was unbelievable. The chickens are Harry Meghan, Elizabeth and Charlotte (see a theme? And yes Harry is female). They are fed daily by the forest school children, who also clean them out. The Children dig for worms and forage for greens to feed them. We do have a problem with rats but can't say it's increased any more and when I go and feed at weekend my dog goes mad near the hen house and shed. The downside is the weekend feeding. I feed them up late Friday and go early Sunday. Built a large watering system so they always have fresh water. Holidays is covered by a few members of staff on a rota basis, but to be honest I don't mind feeding as I live very close to the school and loads of eggs for me [Big grin.png]

Keyolder
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Jan 2019 11 20:17

We raised some chic’s a few years back, was nice for the children and I did get roped in plus don’t forget you’ll need an RA.

The staff asked me who collected the chic’s?
I told them a KFC van collected them… [Big grin.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

samsmith
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker
Jan 2019 12 20:08

Nice, we have a couple of dozen chickens here, sometimes the kids scare them while others find it's thereputic to feed them and collect eggs. We also have 2 ponies, 2 goats ducks and swans in our pond. In between B Block and A block, we also have a koi pond too
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and highly respected Site Manager, Husband, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog! - http://caretakersam.blog

Schoolhandyman
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker
Jan 2019 12 20:22

I have chickens in my school kids feed them every morning and look after them .
I fill a feeding tray up on Friday night to last them till Monday. The downside is getting someone to look after them when I go on holiday

Gazza
Caretaker
Caretaker
Jan 2019 14 09:00

go through a company who do this sort of thing don't take it on yourself.

we went through a company who supplied everything and took it back including the chicks when it was done with after a couple of weeks. in terms of cleaning the teacher organising it was responsible
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]