Polystyrene a choking hazard ?

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Jan 2019 12 13:14

Re: Polystyrene a choking hazard ?

I know that polystyrene is bad for everyone, not just the kids, but get it in your lungs and shorten your life.

However, everything that can be swallowed can be dangerous if it's not edible, what about lego bricks? If unsupervised and a child swallows one...

But the key word is as always, unsupervised. It is the responsibility of the teacher(s) in charge to be vigilant, it's their necks on the line if something goes wrong at the end of the day. All you can do is make sure that any rubbish left out at the end of the day is disposed of safely.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

onthego
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 14 09:00

It was stopped being used for children's craft several years ago in my school. One of the main reasons is that it might not show up on X-Ray if swallowed.
They got the degree's. You've got the common sense

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 14 09:05

No one will care what you have to say. Email your concerns and findings to HT/SLT and keep a note of it. Your job done.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 14 12:05

JohnE875 wrote:
Mon, 14th Jan 2019, 9:05am
No one will care what you have to say. Email your concerns and findings to HT/SLT and keep a note of it. Your job done.
Just did that and copied to my personal email, I have had a small number of sensitive mails "disappear" from my SENT box, once when the IT company fried the servers and once when a previous HT left.

We shall see how far this goes.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 25 08:22

UPDATE:

HT asked teachers to check poly in their classrooms and basically said its assumed its not used unless the HT is informed.

So, they have taken it out of the classroom and..............wait for it............put it outside in the play area !
I know you can imagine what has happened with the kids, wind and rain, its everywhere and still poses a health threat. Went round today and its now worse, the damn stuff is everywhere and in bits and pieces. I've left it alone cos as far as I'm concerned its a teaching resource and nothing to do with me.

I await the result of a "nefarious" substance hitting the fan. [Cool.png]
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 25 08:48

Jubbs, what about staging a potentially fatal accident on the playground! tomato ketchup and plenty of screaming should do it. When the air-ambulance arrives and clears the playground for you, you could run and hide. [Crazy.png]
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 25 16:20

@ seanallen.......Why bother sending me on a Risk Assessment course together with H&S and COSHH, then completely ignore my advice and warnings.

Still, if something happened I'm happy I've done enough to keep the kids safe, but heaven forbid a child does choke one day I will not keep my language diplomatic or PC and I would deffo blow the whistle on all concerned.