Staff health and safety induction training

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 18 08:08

Re: Staff health and safety induction training

I do but include
How to get hold of the site team for any help they may require.
Lone working (very odd occasion) working at heights and manual handling for a few
Opening and closing times.
I have a signing sheet to say that they have received this very basic H&S induction.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

browncoat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 18 08:25

Jubbs is right. I talk to new staff & use a single sheet of A4 bullet pointed as a summary. They have to sign to say they have read the H&S policy.

Gazza
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 18 09:58

Many thanks for the feedback chaps, special mention to @Jubbs for the checklist, so it would appear I am doing most things you guys have mentioned. my original post only outlined a few of the things we discuss. I have a checklist with all of the things mentioned on it along with 2 penultimate columns for their signature and a date.- this is then kept in their employer folder.
there is a h and s policy, staff code of conduct and handbook given to staff on arrival and on my checklist they sign to say they have received these. the set up here is pretty similar to most of yours with the HT being overridingly responsible and the delegated role of h and s comes to me. I'm not overly worried from a legal POV as I feel I have my side of things quite tight.

I would ask one other thing though, do you see any merit in offering the same level of induction to everyone who steps foot in the building (new staff, A.S.Clubs, cleaners, agency workers in the kitchen etc.)

it just seems very like some roles require more specific attention in certain areas. for example does a Sports club leader need the same level of COSHH awareness as say a agency cleaner?????????
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 18 10:18

I would ask one other thing though, do you see any merit in offering the same level of induction to everyone who steps foot in the building (new staff, A.S.Clubs, cleaners, agency workers in the kitchen etc.)

No, these are covered by your school or LA. The group or letting must agree to your polices, before they start on your site and must have their own insurance, trained/working staff, H&S info and provide their own training also.

You are there to monitor all actions and report any unsafe or mad practices to management.
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

Gazza
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 18 12:30

bigbird wrote:
Fri, Jth Jan 2019, 10:18am

No, these are covered by your school or LA. The group or letting must agree to your polices, before they start on your site and must have their own insurance, trained/working staff, H&S info and provide their own training also.

You are there to monitor all actions and report any unsafe or mad practices to management.
So in other words, a run through of the schools fire evacuation procedure should suffice, most other things should be on those companies
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 18 12:37

Yes, You also need this at the entrance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 18 14:36

Gazza wrote:
Fri, Jth Jan 2019, 12:30pm
bigbird wrote:
Fri, Jth Jan 2019, 10:18am

So in other words, a run through of the schools fire evacuation procedure should suffice, most other things should be on those companies
Hi Gazza, You're main responsibility is to be at the correct emergency assembly point given to all your lettings and groups using the school. This is because you do not know what they are using in the way of chemicals, materials and the number of people attending the classes or cleaners etc...

Their responsibility is to see you and tell you all their class/persons are here and correct (you wait till the last group is out). Once everybody is safe and they report that they "didn't see the fire" you may go back in to check the buildings (then the outside users, know you've gone back in to check). If all is clear you can let them back in, but if you smell smoke or see fire. Then you leave immediately and phone the emergency services.

Never try to fight any fires, just leave the building. Because the only people that will really miss you are your family if things go wrong...

Tti
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 09 08:13

Hi,
I also do something similar but I've put it online, there are options within office 365 or canvas, Moodle or other free sites. I either link to an appropriate document or video then ask a few questions on each topic to test understanding. You then have a clear record or what you've shown them etc