H&S visit

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Danboy1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 15:08

H&S visit

We have just had a outside company do a H&S audit at our school , one of the things it picked up was that some staff toilets have toilet cleaners and deodorant on to of the sisters , this is because children could go into the rooms and get to the chemicals , my question is what about children's deodorant in school should they not bring it in . This is a primary school so children after young but the 11 yr olds are starting to smell a little
Its better to have than not need, than need and not have

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 15:24

Re: H&S visit

I wouldn't worry about it, just remove the cleaning items if it's some kind of acid and let the staff get on with the rest. Your HT would have seen the report and taken note of it.
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 16:41

He has a blank form and has to justify his job!
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

Sharky
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 18:03

Any chemical that is brought into school should have a data sheet and coshh sheet. This is why staff should not be bringing their own products into school.
ANY chemical that is not secure is classed as a risk and the big IF a child were to see it and grab it could do themselves alot of damage as they are very inquisitive and would try it. then what happens if a few minutes later after they have left and takes a turn for the worst??.
Hence why cleaning products should not be used by children and staff should always have free access to the data and coshh sheets.
So yes he is correct to pull that.
"Can you just?....."

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 11 18:11

Most of these H & S visitors have to justify their existence to their own bosses and will always find fault, it does not matter that particular fault has not been highlighted on all the previous visits over the years, and again some will offer to do the job at a price as most schools are seen as a money pot to certain contractors.

I even once had a contract employee tell me his company were going to release him from his contract or something like that and would i phone them and tell them how good he was at his job (he was not, and i never telephoned either) he just went through the motions and liked to talk as apposed to doing.

Towards the end of my time as a caretaker i noticed that service engineers were becoming sales staff for their respective companies and were trying to sell you items services you did no need or want and they had never done this before in all the years they had been attending the scool. [Crazy.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

D.I.Burnside
Forum Member
Forum Member
Feb 2019 12 09:15

Sharky wrote:
Mon, 11th Feb 2019, 6:03pm
Any chemical that is brought into school should have a data sheet and coshh sheet. This is why staff should not be bringing their own products into school.
ANY chemical that is not secure is classed as a risk and the big IF a child were to see it and grab it could do themselves alot of damage as they are very inquisitive and would try it. then what happens if a few minutes later after they have left and takes a turn for the worst??.
Hence why cleaning products should not be used by children and staff should always have free access to the data and coshh sheets.
So yes he is correct to pull that.
Totally agree with Sharky [Like.png]
Give Blood, you know you want to..