CPR

Converse about health issues, Norovirus, Pandemics, Colds and Flu, Work related illness...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 13 14:41

Re: CPR

Well done that man. We had a girl at school who dislocated her knee, phoned for an ambulance at 1:30. At 6 we gave up and took her to hospital by car.
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Mar 2019 13 17:09

Thank you all for the kind words. I've had another busy day, I've had some difficult decisions to make today. According to tests they have done, she has considerable damage to her heart. Normally, they would do an Angiogram to see what damage she has. But, my mum has only 1 kidney (she had one kidney removed 40 years ago when she had a large stone) and he said if we were to give her the dye needed to do the Angiogram, it would kill her remaining kidney and she would need to be on dialyses 3/4 times a week. He said in 70% of Angiogram show they would need to live on medication. In about 20% with a single artery it is possible to fit a stent. The remaining results would show she needs a heart bypass and they wouldn't do that for somebody of her age.

Her other option is to just go on medication at home without an Angiogram. BUT, the damage to the heart means that she wouldn't have any quality of life if she had another attack and he suggest she agrees to a 'do not resuscitate'. As I said to my father, if she was to collapse again, how the hell could I stand back and let her die.

We have a meeting tomorrow with the doctor where he wants to know our choice. At the end of the day, it is going to be my mums choice and I think she just wants to go home without any fussing.

I had an appointment myself at the hospital today, so I have been hanging around the hospital all day. I'm desperate to get my shoes off, have a proper cup of coffee (not the dish water they sell to you at £2.50 a mug) and to chill out. [Scared.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 13 21:30

Well done for your quick thinking and actions with your mum CT, sorry to hear the prognosis though.

Wishing your family all the best at this difficult time.
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

jholden
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 10:52

It's difficult to know what to do for the best. My hands were tied with my mom as she had late stage dementia, so the when the doctors suggested to my brother and I that we put a DNR in place, we had no hesitation as she had no quality of life. It was still very hard to watch her slip away knowing no one would or could intervene.
“The only thing I know is that I know nothing”

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 12:34

Between a rock and a hard place CT.

Sometimes life makes these decisions for you but you can only do what is best and humanly possible for your Mum. A very difficult choice that either way affects her quality of life but if your Mum can help with that decision then that will go someway to relieving the pressure and the turmoil.

I had to make a journey to see my dad before it was too late and also discuss with my brother what best way to look after him but he passed away before I could see him. In some ways I'm glad that it happened, in his sleep, quietly with no fuss or bother as he would have liked, he wasnt a liker of hospitals and would rather let time take it course.

He lived to 94 ! so it was a good innings.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Mar 2019 14 18:36

Decision made, they wanted to do a CT scan and an Angiogram and both needed the dye administered which would kill her kidney. She will go home next week with medication and a DNR card. They are going to arrange some home assistance to wash her etc.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 19:12

A full home care package has to be the best option given her age & medical condition