Ideas to remove yellowing vinyl in toilets?

Get hints and tips, discuss about equipment care, tools...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Special1933
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 09:42

Ideas to remove yellowing vinyl in toilets?

HI Guys,

Site been open 4.5 yrs and toilet have that sand paper like vinyl flooring. Around the boys loos its yellowing and smells.

I have tried some pine and a scrubber pad on a stick but makes little differance. I was going to put sealer all round the bottom and back of the loo but wanted to clean it first, or is this a case of all needs replacing first? Which would be a pain and ££.

Any product would make this better or how to prevent it. Think the cleaners have only been using hard surface in there..

OXSET
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 10:36

Re: Ideas to remove yellowing vinyl in toilets?

Have you tried a solution of floor polish stripper in there? may help bring it up. i would also suggest a machine scrub to bring it up too.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 10:46

Once the wee has penetrated you will find it hard to remove the smell no matter what you do, a new flooring is the answer, the Victorians got it right for school toilets in glazed brick walls, quarry tiles and brass fittings and porcelain.

My old caretaker in infants school used to go in with a fire hose and wash the lot in one go, the toilet was permanently aired as there were no outside doors just open door ways at either end that let the air circulate through. [Wink.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 14:41

We use acid based toilet cleaner (Clover STC) gets rid of the limescale and brings the floor up a treat.
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 15:47

Better aim... [Scared.png] [Big grin.png]

I remember hiring a steam cleaner, a really powerful one to clean our old boys toilets prior to modernisation. It got all the grime and limescale off if you were patient but the floors were quarry tiled so not sure if it would work on vinyl flooring?

Oh yes and it stank to high heaven while doing it...
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

Special1933
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 14 17:13

Thanks guys - I had the cleaning manager in today as its all contracted. He pretty much used acid based cleaner and a scourer but did not make much difference but did initially make a stink. I might have to recommend it be replaced eventually, which is no mean feet due to the new fangled partitions.

Or a quick clean while they are outside before I leave my morning shift till we get a hold on it..................

OXSET
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 15 11:31

Special1933 wrote:
Thu, 14th Mar 2019, 5:13pm
Thanks guys - I had the cleaning manager in today as its all contracted. He pretty much used acid based cleaner and a scourer but did not make much difference but did initially make a stink. I might have to recommend it be replaced eventually, which is no mean feet due to the new fangled partitions.

Or a quick clean while they are outside before I leave my morning shift till we get a hold on it..................
Sounds like it'll need some elbow grease over Easter mate. Don't envy you. Hate scrubbing toilet floors.