Staples In Ceiling

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider, jay

Handyman
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 15 12:20

Re: Staples In Ceiling

It is so infuriating when you are doing everything you can to keep people safe and they just disregard it. If they will no listen you will probably have to involve the HT and or H+S governor. I do regular checks on areas with known asbestos and make notes/take photos of any damage. Sometimes all you can do is have good procedures in place and follow them even if others choose to ignore them.

For ladders it is the same. We have a stepladder in the hall cupboard for TAs and teachers to use when putting up displays there. I have caught people on several occasions instead for some reason standing on chairs they have brought from their classrooms at the other end of the school.

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 15 12:25

Ban staplers, they're not needed for any kind of classroom teaching situation and are not required. I've tried and failed to implement that.

Personally, if I had the time or incentive, I'd attach wooden battens to the walls for them to staple their hearts out on the understanding that they actually use the staple removers when they remove the displays that get bought and thrown in a dark corner somewhere never to be put to their intended use.

We've just spent over £20,000 painting the corridors and landings, it'll be classrooms next at a combined cost of over £30,000 (will take a year and some to do) and I wonder after the teachers have had their desires met how long they will wait until they destroy the walls again as the only reason they need painting is the mess they leave behind when they put up and take down displays.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

chrismccol
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 15 14:26

Glue this onto the ceilings where they staple

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... o-asbestos

It's not just them that it affects but also the kids and anyone else who enters the room.
I'm a caretaker. I solve problems you don't know you have in many ways you can't understand. [JawDropped.png]

Stiggy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 16 11:08

Jubbs wrote:
Fri, 15th Mar 2019, 12:25pm
Ban staplers, they're not needed for any kind of classroom teaching situation and are not required. I've tried and failed to implement that.

Personally, if I had the time or incentive, I'd attach wooden battens to the walls for them to staple their hearts out on the understanding that they actually use the staple removers when they remove the displays that get bought and thrown in a dark corner somewhere never to be put to their intended use.

We've just spent over £20,000 painting the corridors and landings, it'll be classrooms next at a combined cost of over £30,000 (will take a year and some to do) and I wonder after the teachers have had their desires met how long they will wait until they destroy the walls again as the only reason they need painting is the mess they leave behind when they put up and take down displays.
We are putting together a redecorating program for the whole school, our teachers have all been told that bluetac will be banned once the painting is done, they are not happy about it but tough s**t

redfern63
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 16 11:57

Make them sign that they are ignoring alll health and safety advice to staple and disturb potentially hazardous materials .
To be honest if they are ignoring advice about asbestos disturbance they should be worried about their future, health and finances and so should your head.
It is not acceptable in anyway shape or form for individuals to put at risk children, parents other staff of themselves.

Sharky
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 08:01

ALL staff should know where asbestos is present within their setting. This should is statutory now with the AMAP. Ignorance is not Bliss. Their actions now " COULD" cost lives later in life. You also have a duty to have it documented into the the asbestos report which is kept for 30 years now. they may be liable even then although the chances are very slim there is always that once......
As for standing on tables to do things.... I presume that all risk assessments have been done and that these are made readily available to all staff? if this is so and you have informed them, then you have fulfilled your obligation. In the event there is an accident even after warnings not to do so , then they on their own. Its not nice but you cannot constantly baby them. They know the risks and make decisions based upon it.
"Can you just?....."

Just-Google-It
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 08:32

Thank you all for the great advice! [Like.png]

We do have an asbestos register on site and all staff do know where it is kept and they all also know that we had an asbestos inspection, to which they suspected that the ceiling tiles are asbestos containing. There are also a few other areas that asbestos is located but mainly for the teachers it is the ceiling tiles. (They all have many, many boards on there walls!)

This is why we have informed all of them not to put anything into the ceilings.
They used to attach ---- The word only permitted in December --- decorations from the ceiling but now it is all sorts. Displays, numbers, spellings, etc....

They know the dangers but refuse to listen. As they don't think a little staple (even though there are hundreds used across the school!) will do anything damage as it is so small so how can it. That is there logic anyway. [Scared.png]

As for the lack of step ladder usage.

This one is so annoying to me!
We have not long had another meeting regarding Health and Safety and they all told me the rights and wrongs of Health and Safety. So they do have the knowledge they just refuse to comply and put it into practice, because it will only take them a couple of minutes and theres no point wasting time going to get a ladder when they can just jump up on a chair or table and get it done there and thtem really quick.
So they are saying they would rather risk hurting them selfs to save a few minutes from going to get a ladder, even though if it was to go bad it would cost them a lot longer and or worse!

But anyway thank you all for you replys and i think i will speak to the SBM and get her to send out a message again and see what happens.... [Waving.png]

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 11:49

To be honest, if the staff here were that complacent and disobedient I would send out a message, with the Head's and Bursar's approval that disciplinary action would take place if anybody was found stapling or disturbing the Asbestos ceiling tiles. Its a clear breach of H&S regulations and in practice it is unlawful and could result in the HSE closing the school down if they found out.

Sometimes you have to lay it on thick for those of a thickheaded nature.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

scrubadub
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 17:03

Charmaine wrote:
Mon, 18th Mar 2019, 8:32am
Thank you all for the great advice! [Like.png]

As for the lack of step ladder usage.

This one is so annoying to me!
We have not long had another meeting regarding Health and Safety and they all told me the rights and wrongs of Health and Safety. So they do have the knowledge they just refuse to comply and put it into practice, because it will only take them a couple of minutes and theres no point wasting time going to get a ladder when they can just jump up on a chair or table and get it done there and thtem really quick.
So they are saying they would rather risk hurting them selfs to save a few minutes from going to get a ladder, even though if it was to go bad it would cost them a lot longer and or worse!

But anyway thank you all for you replys and i think i will speak to the SBM and get her to send out a message again and see what happens.... [Waving.png]

We gave up asking Co's and TA's to use ladders, for years they disregard us. In Now they sign a classroom RA which covers using ladders and They've been told if they refuse to use the ladders and they have an accident the school will not accept responsibility. Now it's in writing a few will use them, the rest well they know if they fall they'll get nothing.

Adoniss
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 17:25

chrismccol wrote:
Fri, 15th Mar 2019, 2:26pm
Glue this onto the ceilings where they staple

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... o-asbestos

It's not just them that it affects but also the kids and anyone else who enters the room.
and YOU

If I knew it definately contained asbestos i would refuse to go in those rooms and contact the local LA H&S advisor, union and the asbestos help line number